Speaker wiring questions

R

renenger

Audiophyte
I am in the process of having a new home constructed. Although I am an audio newbie, I want to get the home wired properly for whole house audio. I am leaning toward a zon audio system, which utilizes a 60 watt wall mounted amplifier for each zone (a ZAC-60). Each amplifier is designed to operate between 4 and 8 ohms and has L & R spring clip speaker inputs. Zon recommends that if one pair of loudspeakers is attached to the ZAC-60 then you just connect them directly to the speaker inputs. If two pairs of loudspeakers will be used for a ZAC-60 and if they are 8 ohms then they should be installed in a parallel configuration. If more than two pairs of loudspeakers will be used then 25 volt transformers will need to be used.

In a few zones, I would like to run more than one pair of speakers, but will not run more than two pairs. As such, I would like to install the speakers in a parallel configuration. As I understand it, I would connect the positives cables from the two right speakers and then connect the negative cables from the two right speakers and run them to the right positive and negative input on the ZAC-60. My first question is simple; what device do I use to connect the two speaker wires to consolidate down to one?

In one zone, I also want one pair of speakers (out of two) to serve a dual function. I want them to act as speakers for the ZAC-60 when using whole house audio, but I want them to act as rear surround when watching television. I have been considering using the Niles ABS-1 Sound Triggered Speaker Level Switch to perform this task. This leads to my second question. Will that work? If so, do I wire the pair of speakers to be used as rear surround to the Niles and then after running speaker wire from the Niles to the ZAC-60, connect with the other pair of speakers that will be used exclusively with the ZAC-60?

Finally, there is one zone that will probably need to power three, as opposed to two speakers since one room cannot reasonably support two speakers. As such, I would like the one speaker in the smaller room to be wired as both a left and right speaker. Is that possible? If so, how would I wire it?

As you can tell from my questions, I am very new to this, but am willing to learn. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis