speaker wiring question

S

Stroker

Enthusiast
First let me start with I am broke so I need to make do with what I have.

I was just given an older Sony integrated stereo that only has one left and one right speaker output (8-16 OHM)

All I have speaker wise is from my old saround system which includes;

1 4OHM Center (Maybe a 6x9)
1 4OHM Sub (looks like a Bose sub)
2 4OHM fronts (Maybe an 8" with a tweeter)
2 8OHM rears (4"?)

All these came with a Phillips Magnivox system I had so there not great I'm just looking for some tunes out in the shop while I work. I am currently running the rear only but would like a better sound if posible. Is there a way to run some more of these in serries or paralel to keep in the OHM range or am I just stuck with the little 4" speakers for now?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just about your only option is to run a rear and a front in series. That would provide a twelve ohm load, but there's no guarantee on how good they will sound.

S

Stroker

Enthusiast
Are you saying to do that on each channel? If so could I then bridge the sub and center in series over both channels? I was thinking about running thie rears like they are and running the two fronts and the sub bridged in seriers which I think would be 12OHM. I just don't know if I can run a set normally and a set bridged from the same outputs. I also don't know if the stereo has the power to run all those speakers. The other option I wanted to try was just the fronts and sub in series. Is that a bad idea? I'm not sure if I am using the term bridged correctly, I am refering to running from the left channel to the right channel. If all of these are options that won't hurt the stereo then I have a lot to experement with but I just barly have an understanding of how all this works and don't want to ruin this stereo like I didi my saround system. It turns out auto 12" subs aren't a good substatute for the smaller sub I had even though it did sound better. I didn't have a clue what an ohm was then.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Stroker said:
Are you saying to do that on each channel? If so could I then bridge the sub and center in series over both channels? I was thinking about running thie rears like they are and running the two fronts and the sub bridged in seriers which I think would be 12OHM. I just don't know if I can run a set normally and a set bridged from the same outputs. I also don't know if the stereo has the power to run all those speakers. The other option I wanted to try was just the fronts and sub in series. Is that a bad idea? I'm not sure if I am using the term bridged correctly, I am refering to running from the left channel to the right channel. If all of these are options that won't hurt the stereo then I have a lot to experement with but I just barly have an understanding of how all this works and don't want to ruin this stereo like I didi my saround system. It turns out auto 12" subs aren't a good substatute for the smaller sub I had even though it did sound better. I didn't have a clue what an ohm was then.
No. You have a 2 channel integrated amp. You will only get a 2 channel response, even if you connect two speakers in series to one channel and place one of the speakers in the back.

Do not connect any speakers between the left and right channels for a center channel.

Not sure about that subs capability, what connections it will accept.

You cannot get a surround sound system from a 2 ch component. You need to save until you have enough for a proper component.

S

Stroker

Enthusiast
I know I wont get saround I just want to get as full off a sound as I can. The sub takes regular wires so it wires like the rest.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Stroker said:
I know I wont get saround I just want to get as full off a sound as I can. The sub takes regular wires so it wires like the rest.
Nope, you don't want to wire as you were thinking. You will have a melt down.
You can place two speakers in series and have one front and one in the back, on each channel. Don't wire that sub into it, not anything across the left and right terminals.
You want it right, then you need to do it right; get a better setup.

S

Stroker

Enthusiast
Great that is the info I wanted. Better to have poor sound that lasts then a better sound that will cause a melt down.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis