B

BKTAS

Audiophyte
Was just wondering if anyone knew any decent speaker wire. I was told about Sound King 12 gauge wire and read alot of decent reviews on them. When i went to order them, no one seemed to have them available. Then calling Parts Express to make sure, i was told that their wharehouse was ruined from Hurricane Katrina and they were in the process of finding another speaker wire company to replace them.

I ordered Axiom speakers and they will arrive Monday so in somewhat of a hurry. Axiom told me that 12 gauge is pretty much the way to go and it is a pain in the arse trying to fing them everywhere or anywhere for that matter.

Another question is that if I use 14 gauge wire, would i have any shortcomings with them. I also will not be using a sub for the time being and i have two floorstanders for the front. The Axiom m50ti if it helps. vp100 center and Qs4's for the rear. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you

Tas
:)

B

BKTAS

Audiophyte
Thank you and checked out their website and they have the more flexible version on backorder. The pricing is really nice. I need these by Monday and i am going nuts. Damn Hurricane Katrina!! Also if I switch to 14 gauge, what would be the difference?
Tas

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you need the cable by Monday, go to your local Walmart and pick up a spool of 50' 14/2 Royal Cable - model number RCSW14GCP50. It's all weather, oxygen free, clear plastic speaker wire. It's around $9.99 for the 50' spool and should be fine for runs under 50'. It's back in the car audio section. It's pretty flexible, as I used it in my F150. I couldn't find it on their website, but I'm pretty sure they still sell it. $.20 a foot plus tax.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
After owning Monster, Sound King, Audioquest, & Kimber; I agree with the above post. Buy the Belden and some good conectors. Terminate it yourself, and forget about it. I just recently dumped my Kimber 8TC on Ebay and changed over to Belden 5T00UP. I couldn't be happier. I'm now a firm believer that HIGH PRICED speaker wire is SNAKE OIL. :eek:

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Radio Shack has 14 guage wire that is just fine if you have a store near you. Also Home Depot has 12 guage wire, maybe 14 guage too. Of all the recommendations they will all work equally well so buy what is most convient for you. I usually use 14 guage because it is easier to work with than the 12 and since I have no runs over 50 feet there is no advantage to going thicker than the 14.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BKTAS said:
Thank you and checked out their website and they have the more flexible version on backorder. The pricing is really nice. I need these by Monday and i am going nuts. Damn Hurricane Katrina!! Also if I switch to 14 gauge, what would be the difference?
Tas

If you need it in a hurry, go to a local hardware store and get 14ga stranded wire. That will do you just as well, quicker too.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
JPW said:
I'm now a firm believer that HIGH PRICED speaker wire is SNAKE OIL. :eek:

The wires work but the claims are the snake oil type:D
If the products didn't work, then they are the snakes:D

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
If you have a Fry's electronics in your area, go get some of their house brand 12-ga. I think it's GC, GQ or something like that. It's price isn't all that great though, but if you need it now, they can do.

Also, if you manage to find a radioshack that still sells 12ga, go for it! Their 12ga is really good stuff....but they discontinued it a while back.

Another good source for 12ga is car audio shops...if you find a nice car audio shop, they won't charge much for their bulk cable at all. I've seen 12ga as cheap as 50c/ft when 30ft or more is bought at some of these shops.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis