Speaker wire question

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
So I moved all of my speakers on and beside my desk, because im going to use my sound system for my computer alot more then my TV for the summer, at least untill the house is built.

Here is a picture of the new arragment:

And here is a picture o two sets of wires, the ones on the rigt are the wire that I use for the other speakers and te ones on the left (the black ones) are attached to the speakers i hope to use as surround speakers.

I cannot change the wire because it is in the speaker cabinet.

I am just going to hook this black wire up to my Denon, like I have with all of the other ones (not using banana plugs).

Im worried about the guage of the black wires. Will it be ok with my Denon AVR-1705?

Thanks,

Trav

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of speakers are you using for your surrounds? Some small PC speakers or something? I can't think of any "HT" speakers with the wire attached, save Bose. I would think the wire should be okay, but what about the impedance of the speakers?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Cygnus said:
Im worried about the guage of the black wires. Will it be ok with my Denon AVR-1705? Thanks,
Trav
How long is the run? Can you read the gauge on the wire?
From the looks, it should be fine.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
On the wire it says alot of things, but i think the guage is 24, the wire says, in two places:

"AWG 24"

Impendance is 6Ohms.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Ew. 24ga wire = mega resistive loss. But, unless you feel like taking apart the speakers, you're stuck with it. The good news is it won't be bad for your Denon. In fact, it will increase the resistance the amp sees, so no worries there. If you're worried if it will come off or something, try tinning the tip before you attach it to the binding post.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
You are going to look like the guy in the memorex commercial, looking like he was in a wind tunnel.

It will be fine as long as you keep the length shorter than 6 ft.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Well...I got it set up....

And, its GREAT! What a difference two more speakers can make! (at least now, I had a setup like this a long time ago, but thi one is by far better)

In Rush's "Countdown" (Signals, 1983) there is a chopper that flys by. It now flys from the front to the back, as opposed to front left to right! :)

The speaker wire is very secure in the receiver, as of i tightened the banana plug terminals quite a bit.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
MacManNM said:
You are going to look like the guy in the memorex commercial, looking like he was in a wind tunnel.
Now thats funny, LOL.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I haven't seen that commercial. What happens in it?

I tested out my system with some movies and music. I just tried out Soilder of Fortune II: Double Helix in Dolby Prologic II Game mode, and I dont have any surround (or very little) info when playing that. I don't have a fancy sound card or anything (SoundBlaster Ensoniq AudioPCI).....but why doesnt it work for games?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis