Speaker upgrades - new center channel or sub?

B

Ben09

Audiophyte
I read somewhere on this forum some advice about what to do when considering upgrading a system, but now I can't find it. I'd like your thoughts please....

I have an Onkyo TX-SR806 AVR, was running an old Onkyo 6.1 HTIB speakers, but just took advantage of Fry's Infinity P362 sale, so I have some new fronts. Now I'm set up 7.1, but a little jenky given how I used the old HTIB speakers to fill in center, sides (previously fronts), and backs (previously sides).

Tax refund time :D - what to do with ~$350? I've read somewhere on these pages that a sub is a good place to start, but that the center is important too. Now that I have pretty good fronts I'm considering to buy Infinity's PC350 to balance things out across the front, then finding a cost effective sub that's better than the PoC I have now. I'm also considering blowing it all on the E.D. A2-300.

Then again, someone once wrote something to the effect "...if I were in the market for a $300 sub I'd buy 2 [tSc subs?] and pocket $100". If I did that I might be able to justify the new center and those subs.

Right now my HTIB sub seems somewhat outmanned by the P362s, so I'd want to have a sub that makes its presence known. Granted, I'm no sub-setup expert (spending quality time on this should help given the layout & size of my room), but I don't expect a lot from it given the entire HTIB ran me something like $400.

What say the experts?

Thanks in advance

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
My vote is the best matching center speaker. Identical to your mains is ideal, and you could do that if your display was a flat panel, wall mounted, high enough. Otherwise, whatever horiz matches best. That's my vote.

Then again, if you are a bass head . . .

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go sub personally, but it depends on what you are after. A matching center goes a long way, but if your current sub isn't up to the task as you are suggesting that will also go a long way. If you could save a bit by going with the center, then do that and put the rest away to go towards the sub.

I'd probably spend a little more on the sub too, at least get up to the $400-450 range where you have a very decent selection for the price, especially if you have a good size room.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I would also go with the center, given the budget.

The Infinity PC250 can be had for $150 or less, and the PC350 for $200 or less.

gixxerific

gixxerific

Audioholic
I myself am about to purchase a sub and and a pair of floor standers. Sub will be SVS speakers still up in the air on that one.

B

Ben09

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input gents. And for confirming my lingering thoughts about the center.

Just went to theaudiovideosource.com and orderer an Infinity Beta C360 - ~$200 delivered ($170+$33). Can't complain about that much.

They had the PC350 on the site for $152, but were out of stock. Seems that the C360 is a better match to my fronts anyway.

Hopefully in the next 45 days or so I'll be back on the market for the sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis