Speaker types for (very) unideal conditions

K

Kwiercyski

Enthusiast
I'm looking to upgrade from my htib sub/sat system... For obvious reasons I would like to maximize performance, in respect to audio quality. I like details, clarity, the ability to distinguish individual instruments. We mostly listen to stereo music. Infact the tv rarely turns on. But when it does, we'll watch movies and would still enjoy good performance.

My question is, what type of "speaker design" would be *best* suited for corner, near wall/glass placement. I can also only get about 6 feet between the speakers. See photos.

For example I would imagine dipole speakers such as Martin Logan's would be a poor choice because the rear fired waves would collect and bounce everywhere. Even though unfortunately this would be, imo, the most aesthetic option to reduce the look of clutter.

I was thinking maybe a horn fired tweeter like the Klipsch would be a better option due to the controlled dispersion of high frequencies. Maybe a slight toe in would help keep the highs off the wall a little.

Then there's the question of bookshelves or floorstanding. I'm running subs regardless, but I'm thinking the space would just simply be too tight for floorstanding. Even though the length and width tends to be the same for bookshelves... So I guess what difference does it make?

I guess my point is, if I'm going to upgrade. I want to know I did. I want louder, cleaner, better. But I don't want to put big expensive speakers there and end up with a poorer sounding system due to poor placement and other conditions.
IMG_20200325_122916932_35.jpg
IMG_20200325_122906472_35.jpg

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Wow where your from? looks like Cypress trees outside,

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Perhaps something with controlled directivity to keep from spraying the glass door with treble, e.g. something like this.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think either of Hsu's bookshelf speakers would halp accommodate your needs. I have not heard them myself, but I think @shadyJ has reviewed both. Hopefully he'll chime in.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think either of Hsu's bookshelf speakers would halp accommodate your needs. I have not heard them myself, but I think @shadyJ has reviewed both. Hopefully he'll chime in.
Agreed, I would go with narrow dispersion speakers like Hsu or Klipsch. The Hsu speakers might hold a slight advantage here in that they have a somewhat narrower dispersion, and the narrower the better in circumstances like these. I think the Hsu HB speakers have something like a 60 or 70 degree dispersion angle while the Klipsch have a 90 degree horn. The Hsu CCB-8 might even be more narrower.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with Shady J, upgrade your LCR, check out Canton speakers on Accessories4less, Bookshelves in a small space like that would do well. There are a ton of options for bookshelf speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis