speaker set up for HT

G

<font color='#000000'>I recently upgraded my surround sound system and I'm in the
process of setting it up. &nbsp;In looking at articles about bass
management I'm somewhat confused. &nbsp;

When determining if my front/center speakers should be set to &quot;small' or &quot;large&quot;, in relation to the processor's subwoofer crossover setting, should I be looking at my speakers' frequency range or frequency response? &nbsp;Then, how do I determine where the sub low pass filter should be set?

Thanks</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Check to see your speakers' lowest frequency limit, usually 40hz to 50Hz stated at the back of the cabinet as frequency range. &nbsp;This is just an indication. &nbsp;Speaker placement will have a bearing on whether you will hear them or not in your listening couch. &nbsp;Now that's room frequency respsonse - room plus speaker accoustics conniving to what eventually will end up in your ears.

Personally, I just do a lot of listening to check how well the integration is between the sub and speakers. &nbsp;I start out setting the speakers to &nbsp;large; and putting crossover frequency, at the receiver end as well as the sub, to coincide with &nbsp;the speakers lowest frequency range limit, usually at 50Hz. &nbsp;Then I tinker the controls going up or down as it suits my listening on various CD titles. &nbsp;I have no fast rules on this, though I usually end up with the crossover frequency on the sub about a few Hz lower than what my main speakers can generate. &nbsp;That usually takes care of any frequency overlaps where both subs and speakers end up generating. &nbsp;Those cutover filters are never precise, at least not in mid-priced gears. I also use a CD with test tones (&quot;My Disc&quot; test CD from Sheffield labs). &nbsp;And that is why I prefer floorstanders over bookshelfs, the integrattion between speaker and sub seems to be more accomodating.

Setting the speakers to SMALL is generally reserved to speakers that are challenged &nbsp;generating the LF down to 60Hz -50Hz flat. &nbsp;In a way, that also relieves the receiver amps from amplifying LF which tend to drive the power amps to extract from current, thus heating the amp more. &nbsp;Those LF can better be amplified by the powerd sub which is dedicated to the purpose. &nbsp; &nbsp;However, in my experience, seamless integration seems more problematic, &nbsp;as the sub can have a peaking characteristic in the 80Hz-120Hz (boomy) that would otherwise be flatter in a floorstander. &nbsp;This is usually the crossover points when setting the receiver to SMALL. &nbsp;Perhaps using more expensive subs will do a better integration. &nbsp;Just my 2 cents.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis