Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
I primarily watch movies.

I currently have Definitive Technology speakers
8060st’s (Floors)
8060cs (Center)
8080SR (Sourround)

if you were to replace for something different. What would it be and why?

if I were to switch to Klipsch would that be a downgrade?

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
How much is in your budget to spend and on new speakers? What have you explored for replacement? Read any speaker reviews?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

8060st’s (Floors)
8060cs (Center)
8080SR (Sourround)

A lot of folk (who like Klipsch) love the sound, but many of their Speakers are not very accurate in terms of Sound Reproduction. On the other hand, many comment that the resulting sense of immediacy (speaker characteristic, dynamics, perhaps? or coloration due to their voicing?) is very powerful.
Since you asked, I would consider Klipsch to not be an upgrade.
(I'm also not a DefTech fan, but I have no experience with yours.)

Depending on your budget and aesthetics, keep your eyes open for JBL. The Studio 5s are still alive and likely to go on deep sale again, soon. The Studio 6 Speakers will be coming to the US soon, and these look to have good potential. Then there is the JBL Synthesis HDI Speakers.

Since Center channels are so important in HT, solving for that could be the key to a good upgrade, too. Looking for a good 3-way center with Tweeter-Mid in between the woofers is important. Or, resetting your system to allow for a vertical center channel. Or something with a coaxial driver that is doing Highs and mids like KEF.

Your budget and what you are willing to do for set up is going to be key.

Also, you should consider an upgrade at Sub if you don't have one.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
If you would like to read Amir's speaker reviews, here is his webpage, as a tool. You can search for different manufactures that are of interest.
Master Audio Review Index | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
On his page "Click on "Speakers," and then you can Click on the "Search box ," and type in Mfg speakers you might be interested in.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, you should consider an upgrade at Sub if you don't have one.
You don't really need a sub with OP's Def Tek speakers, but they are far from accurate:
The issue of 2 way typically horizontal or even worse horizontal MTM centers can be addressed not just with a 3-way, but the Coaxial driver illuminates many of the issues of woofer (bad) interaction, so I suggest looking at HSU's speakers' packages, like Hybrid 15 with CCB-8:
These combos would very hard to beat dollars for performance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In terms of speaker frequency response measurements, the DefTech's new Demand series (like D15, D17 towers) are extremely accurate ~ +/- 1.6dB response.

The new Polk Legend series is about +/- 2dB FR and the R-series is about +/- 1.5dB FR.

Most Klipsch speakers don't have very accurate FR.

But measurements don't always guarantee subjective preference - many people love speakers that don't have very accurate FR (more than +/- 3dB).

I love big towers of power. So naturally, I would get the RBH SVT towers.

But as others have already said, it depends on your BUDGET. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You don't really need a sub with OP's Def Tek speakers, but they are far from accurate:
The issue of 2 way typically horizontal or even worse horizontal MTM centers can be addressed not just with a 3-way, but the Coaxial driver illuminates many of the issues of woofer (bad) interaction, so I suggest looking at HSU's speakers' packages, like Hybrid 15 with CCB-8:
These combos would very hard to beat dollars for performance.
Agree with the possibility of Hsu CCB-8s if that is what he is into. I know Shady speaks pretty highly of them.

Re: that Subwoofer thing, there is a lot of programming that may well be lost do to the rolloff starting at ~60Hz and is -10 by 35Hz. I would certainly never accept that as reasonable extension.
Hell... My BMR Monitors are -3 at 34Hz and don't come with "built in subwoofers." *shrugs
This is neither here nor there and really depends on what our friendly OP's goals are. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Am more in the camp of not considering either Klipsch or DefTec (altho the Demands might be interesting) speakers in the first place myself. Budget would help with suggestions, tho, especially with consideration of adding subs to the mix. Maybe even doing it over time, starting with the fronts first rather than all at once to make that easier on the wallet.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Agree with the possibility of Hsu CCB-8s if that is what he is into. I know Shady speaks pretty highly of them.

Re: that Subwoofer thing, there is a lot of programming that may well be lost do to the rolloff starting at ~60Hz and is -10 by 35Hz. I would certainly never accept that as reasonable extension.
Hell... My BMR Monitors are -3 at 34Hz and don't come with "built in subwoofers." *shrugs
This is neither here nor there and really depends on what our friendly OP's goals are. ;)
I have Hsu CCB-8s across the fronts in my Atmos system for about 3 years, and I find them outstanding. Of course they need good "subwooferage" (as @Pogre likes to say). I'm always surprised that they haven't got more support here in the Forum.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have Hsu CCB-8s across the fronts in my Atmos system for about 3 years, and I find them outstanding. Of course they need good "subwooferage" (as @Pogre likes to say). I'm always surprised that they haven't got more support here in the Forum.
I agree. You just don't see much of them. Shady's review is just over 5 years old. I'm uncertain when they debuted.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Best thing you can do is get out an listen to different brands. Some people like a speaker with narrow dispersion that gives great imaging. Others prefer a wide dispersion that gives that enveloping wall of sound. In general studies show that most people prefer a speaker that measures relatively flat, but speaker choice is personal. I read that Monitor Audio is good, but they just were not my cup of tea. JBL HDI series on the other hand I absolutely loved. I also like the way Paradigm speakers sound.

For movie watching, Paradigm Premier reviewed well here and they make a good centre channel speaker which is very important for movie dialogue. If you can't get out to stores, SVS has free returns. Their Ultras would be a step up. If I was starting out new, I would be looking at Arendal which measure well, have great dynamics and ship free to the U.S. and Europe. The Polk Legends mentioned offer good value. Bear in mind, for enjoyable movie effects a decent subwoofer goes a long way in improving the experience.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Yes, I have CCB-8s in 2.1. One reason they might not be as popular is that they do require extreme toe-in and certain speaker-stand height (36") to sound their best, using time-intensity trading. The placement requirements might not meet WAF or personal aesthetics, and some might consider this set up too fussy.

But the pay off is you don't necessarily need a center. Time-intensity trading via extreme toe-in conjures a stable and centered phantom center/stereo image locked between L/R, even if you're seated off-axis of the MLP. No narrow sweet spot, so multiple listeners can enjoy a phantom center/stereo image that doesn't shift to the speaker nearest the listener, as it does with most speakers. Dialogue remains locked on screen. This is also ideal for social music listening. In my set up listeners seated within a ~7/8-ft-wide sweet spot enjoy a solid, non-shifting phantom center with very good to excellent imaging and outstanding dialogue intelligibility. But even standing 10 ft off of the MLP the phantom center still holds up, if the imaging loses a little focus.

Shady did note that using extreme toe-in and time intensity trading with the Arendal 1723s, another speaker that also has very good directivity, resulted in a slight narrowing of the soundstage. I haven't noticed that with the CCB-8s, and wonder if this is because they're still fairly neutral at 15-20° off-axis with extreme toe-in (they're designed this way and will actually sound bright on-axis), whereas other speakers with controlled directivity have FQ that's slightly more down off-axis.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic

8060st’s (Floors)
8060cs (Center)
8080SR (Sourround)

I wouldn't buy new speakers until you have your room treatment completely dialed in. Speakers performance are dependent on the room and without that first it is a crap shoot.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis