Speaker refinishing??????

H

Hondaman

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>Hopefully I can find someone with a bit of refinishing knowledge!
I have a really great pair of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers that are about twenty years old. They sound like new and look like twenty years of hard road. No chips or deep scratches but eye sores to be sure.
I am done with the sanding and removal of the old black satin finish and they look like a million dollars now and are ready to re-stain. I am on the third coat of minwax EBONY stain and they are not looking like they will ever get the deep black finish they had and I want to replace. Yamaha has not responded to my questions and I need some advice here.
Does anyone know how to get the black satin back??
Sure I could paint them black but it does not appear the original finish was paint, more like a stain as the wood grain still came thru. Any woodworkers out there who might have a few minutes to lend some much needed advice???
Thanks.</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I’m not sure how much help Yamaha will be on your problem. You might want to give Minwax a email. It sounds to me like the cabinet needs to be conditioned before the stain is applied. Like a sanding sealer and/or one of Minwax’s Wood Conditioners may be needed.

Here's a link to Minwax's &quot;ask a question&quot; page.

Ask Minwax

Good Luck on your project.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis