speaker recommendations

G

gandmjl

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>For the past 28 years I have had a pair of Altec 19s in my living room. I just sold them because the living room got much smaller when we retired. We are not yet ready to give up on our music, just a bit of size!
What speaker could possibly replace what we just gave up?
Cost is not an issue but size is and we have not kept up like we used to.
I have a line on a pair of Klipsh Forte's and a pair of JBL L-19s
Excuse use but at 50 we do like to rock this place every now and then!!!!!!! The Altecs just took up too much room, but they did perform flawlessly for 28 years and still will for the new owner!
Help us if you can. If you have nothing to offer then please
GROW UP elsewhere! We have been there and done it!
Thanks to all that have solid info.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I have three recommendations at four price-points based on very recent direct comparisons:

1. &nbsp;$150/pr. Athena AS-B1 bookshelf speakers. &nbsp;Unbelievable sound at the price. &nbsp;Athena is now carried at Best Buy. &nbsp;If price is the major consideration, these speakers are the best I've heard at anywhere near this price.

2. Axiom M22ti ($400/pr.). &nbsp;Incredible imaging, sound-staging, accuracy, and midrange and treble performance. &nbsp;These (along with their cousin the floor-standing M60ti) are the most revealing speakers I've heard in the mid-range and treble frequencies). &nbsp;The only thing lacking (not surprisingly in a bookshelf speaker) is bass performance (remedied by the more expensive M60ti). &nbsp;When coupled with a subwoofer, &nbsp;it's hard to beat. &nbsp;If interested, check out : &nbsp;www.axiomaudio.com.

3. &nbsp;Athena AS-F2 floor-standing speakers ($600/pr.). &nbsp;These speakers are a recommended component by Stereophile. &nbsp;Incredible speakers for the price. &nbsp;Extremely efficient speakers that effectively double the output of my Denon AVR-3803 (each +3db = doubling of power). &nbsp;Very sweet sounding speakers. &nbsp;Compared to Axiom speakers, not quite as &quot;revealing&quot; (i.e. accurate), but satisfying none-the-less. &nbsp; That being said, if you're budget is $600 for the front mains, you will not be disappointed. &nbsp;I was so impressed when I initially heard these speakers, I almost cancelled my Axiom order for the M22ti, which I eventually returned in favor of the M60ti reviewed below (my favorite of the bunch, but note the price differentials).

4. &nbsp;Axiom M60ti ($800/pr.). &nbsp;Much more bass (and ultimately more satisfying) -- although at double the price -- of the M22ti. &nbsp;The M60ti has the same imaging, soundstaging, and accuracy of the M22ti, but with much more bass. &nbsp;The bass is much tighter than the Athenas (probaby due to the dual 6.5 drivers vs. the dual 8&quot; drivers). &nbsp;The midrange is much clearer, probably due to the addition of a 5.5&quot; midrange. &nbsp;The Axiom's 1&quot; titanium tweeter is much clearer and has more air than the 1&quot; teteron tweeter on the Athenas.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Sorry about the typo. &nbsp;Make that FOUR recommendations at four price-points.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Let me add Ascend Acoustics to the mix. &nbsp;Very well reviewed.
Smooth, clean, and color free. &nbsp;Maybe not as revealing as the Axiom M22Ti, but I think more balanced.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>A pair of Definitive CLR1000Bs on really good stands would be nice for around $650+

they have dual 6.5in woofers, plus 1in dome tweeters and handle 20-300w and FS:25Hz-30,000Hz

:)~

Bob</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>If size is an issue and cost is not, you really owe it to yourself to check out some Dynaudio bookshelfs. they start somewhere under a grand a pair and go where ever you can afford from there. Very accurate, musical and dynamic.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I would take a look at some used gear, perhaps the good old Yamaha NS200's. &nbsp;Awesome speakers IMO. &nbsp;Or some of Frieds designs from the late 90's.

As for new, you can't go wrong with Infinity Preludes or Monitor Audio Gold series.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I just wanna say that I envy you retiring at 50!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>If you can, I would try to give a listen to the Vmps line of speakers..They have models in all size and price ranges.

I have a pair of their 626's, these are a great bang for buck speaker in the basic Qso-626 model ($700 pair). They can also be had for more money with ribbon for mids and highs for the audiophile. Great for movies or any type of music in my book.

Dave</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>I would take a look at some used gear, perhaps the good old Yamaha NS200's.  Awesome speakers IMO.  Or some of Frieds designs from the late 90's.

As for new, you can't go wrong with Infinity Preludes or Monitor Audio Gold series.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>Ryan B,

You surprise me greatly, where in US did you hear the NS-200 as they were never released in the US.

Pity, NS-200/300 won awards all over Europe including 5 stars from What H-Fi.

To everyone else,

If you read Grandmjl raving reviews about his NS-1000x and MX-1000 combo then you would realize he has aready got his stuff.

I thought I would never post again but Ryan B's Yamaha NS-200 quote made it hard to resist, to everyone else who hates my posts and Yamaha in general, please look the other way.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>C'mon, Yamahaluver. &nbsp;Keep the faith, brother. &nbsp;Don't let a couple of guys get you down. &nbsp;There's a lot more to this site than a couple of malcontents putting you down. &nbsp;You are booster-ish for your brand, but I am, too. &nbsp;Wear the colors with pride. &nbsp;Stick around, things are getting interesting.

As to the actual topics, there are lots of great bookshelf speakers. &nbsp;I do want to point out, though, that while they look smaller, monitors on a stand take up the same amount of space as a slim tower. &nbsp;And there are a lot of tower speakers that would be really good in your setup.

But, there's nothing wrong with bookshelve speakers, so long as you have decent stands. &nbsp;Budget space &amp; money, though, for a good sub, unless you don't care to hear all the music on the recording.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>The thread may be old but the answers are sometimes of use to other people who are in the same boat as gandmjl in the future. For these reasons answers to old threads even though the original poster most times has moved on can be of great use to others.

Dave</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis