Speaker Recommendation

G

guiness

Enthusiast
I would like to upgrade my speakers in the near future (6-12 months) I currently have a Samsung 40 inch lcd, Onkyo 605, Bose Acoustimass 5, a pair of hometech in the wall speakers, klispch sub (10 inch). The bose are approximately 7 years old and have served their purpose, it's just time to upgrade. Size and appearance does matter, but sound is more important. They would be used for home theater 75 percent of the time and for music the rest. The room is approximately 12x20.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Budget? Are you looking for cubes again? How large is too large?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Budget? How large is too large?
Yes what requirements are requested for speakers? Any restrictions or needs?

Wall Mounted? Bookshelf? Floorstanding? And what about the surround speakers?

G

guiness

Enthusiast
I would prefer wall mounted for all with a budget of approx 1,000.-1,200. max. But open to suggestions. I am prob not looking for cubes again based on some of the info I am reading on this forum. It seems that the feelings here are that the cubes are over priced and might not perform as well as some other options? Thoughts??

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I would prefer wall mounted for all with a budget of approx 1,000.-1,200. max. But open to suggestions. I am prob not looking for cubes again based on some of the info I am reading on this forum. It seems that the feelings here are that the cubes are over priced and might not perform as well as some other options? Thoughts??
If $1000-$1200 is for speakers and sub, here you go. Wall mountable.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

If your looking for slim design speakers then it's back to the drawing board. But the system posted is an excellent HT system, and will do a great job in your room. I would get the system with the PB12-NSD subwoofer.

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
I stopped in the local HT store today, looking a speakers.

Told him I'm looking to spend $ 1,500 for a 5.1 speaker setup

Here's what the Salesman told me

60% (importantance priority list) should be the center Channel
20-30% the Front Channels and the Sub
10% Rear Speakers

So for the $1,500 I'm looking to spend, "spend it on the Center, Front speakers, and the sub. Keep the Cheap-o speakers you have for now, you can upgrade later"

My Room dimensions are 14 x 19 x 7-1/2 with a hardwood floor. the reason I mention this is the Salesman recommended the Paradim (sp?) speakers as "They are Warmer".

I also am looking very hard at the SVS setup with the 12" woofer. Is the SVS considered a "warm" speaker?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Here's what the Salesman told me

60% (importantance priority list) should be the center Channel
20-30% the Front Channels and the Sub
10% Rear Speakers

Salesman recommended the Paradim (sp?) speakers as "They are Warmer".

I also am looking very hard at the SVS setup with the 12" woofer. Is the SVS considered a "warm" speaker?
IMO I think the most important speakers are your main Right & Left. Not that I think the Center Channel is not important. Just that I don't think it's priority over your mains.

IMO true priority, or importance is to have all 3 main (L/C/R) speakers timbre matched. So when shopping and auditioning speakers you really want to audition all 3 speakers.

Paradigm has several different series of speakers. When you ask are they "Warmer"? What series are you talking about? Also a speakers sound quality will differ from listener to listener.

The SVS SBS-01 speakers IMO are a neutral sounding speaker with slightly forward highs.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It's best to get out and audition as many as possible. Don't discount the internet brands like Axiom, Ascend, etc... as they all have friendly return policies. For the sub, look no further than SVS or HSU.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I don't recall saying those subwoofers are no good.
But you did state "For the sub, look no further than SVS or HSU".

Taking all those other subwoofer choices out of the picture. :eek:

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I could have done a lot worst and said look no further than a $50 Logitech sub :eek:

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Guiness, did you get any time in listening to the Paradigms the salesperson suggested while at the HT shop? If so, what model were they and how did they sound to you? Too thin, too bright, etc...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I suggest auditioning PSB Image B25s

A bookshelf speaker that provides a clean nuetral sound with a solid tight bass bottom end.

On another note, I saw this on PSB webpage. Who the heck is TAS?

http://psbspeakers.com/news/116

N

Nimrod

Audioholic
Warmer compared to what? Warm is a very subjective term.

By "Warmer", the Sales-Guy refering to the the Hardwood Floor in the room.

Since the floor was installed, the sound in my living room is "Brighter".

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
aren't adjectives fun?

By "Warmer", the Sales-Guy refering to the the Hardwood Floor in the room.

Since the floor was installed, the sound in my living room is "Brighter".

I know what you are getting at. A room with hardwood floors as opposed to one with a carpet is much more reflective and will drive you absolutley nuts without treating the room acoustically. A highly reflective room is usually called a "live" room as a opposed to a "dead room" where very little sound gets reflected off walls, floor or ceiling. :)

G

guiness

Enthusiast
rnatalli, no i haven't been to the store yet. i haven't listened to any speakers either. i wanted to arm myself with some of knowledge from the members here before i go out to listen. since i have joined here i feel like i have learn alot but still have a long way to go. i hear talk about speakers/equipment that i have never heard of all the time, and i just want to get the best for the money.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis