Speaker Recommendation

B

Breeze

Audiophyte
I'd like to spend $1000 max on a set of speakers (2) to start upgrading my system. I will be using them in a 20 x 20 room (feet) and don't plan to include a subwoofer. Are there any speakers that you would consider a bargain in this price range?? I currently have a low end Sony stereo amp, 100watts/ch (plan to upgrade to a Marantz PM7200 later - comments??) and vintage JBL L100 speakers. I listen to a wide range of music.

Thx a lot

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Breeze said:
I'd like to spend $1000 max on a set of speakers (2) to start upgrading my system. I will be using them in a 20 x 20 room (feet) and don't plan to include a subwoofer. Are there any speakers that you would consider a bargain in this price range?? I currently have a low end Sony stereo amp, 100watts/ch (plan to upgrade to a Marantz PM7200 later - comments??) and vintage JBL L100 speakers. I listen to a wide range of music.

Thx a lot
Breeze - welcome to the forum.

I think no one has responded because you've eliminated a subwoofer. Today's speakers lack the type of bass you're accustomed to. Those JBL's put out some decent bass. Some speakers that come to mind that may get away with not utilizing a sub are the Athena Audition series with dual 8" subs, and the Klipsch Reference series. I'm sure you can find better deals at Audiogon and ebay, but it's going to take some research. $1000 will not buy the best higher end brands that will put out the type of bass you'll want with music, thus the reason for the above recommendations.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Like most integrateds, the 7200 has no sub out, but you can still use a sub with it via the B speaker level outputs. I use mine with no sub, though in a smaller room and it works great. However in a room that size, even with towers, you are going to give up bass extension. The 7200 has plenty of power, but bass is the most demanding aspect of sound and the lower your mains play, the harder the amp needs to work to drive them.

I'd recommend you look at the Mordaunt Short (sister company to Marantz) 906 ($750) or 908 ($1100).

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Here are some that you may consider.

Klipsch RF-35
Paradigm Monitor 9
Energy Connoisseur 7
PSB Image T55
BIC Venturi DV84
Monitor Audio Bronze B6 / Silver RS 5/6??

Last edited:
nova

nova

Full Audioholic
Breeze said:
I'd like to spend $1000 max on a set of speakers (2) to start vintage JBL L100 speakers. I listen to a wide range of music.Thx a lot
Umm,... anything wrong with the JBL's ???
You may find upgrading to the Marantz will bring new life to your old speakers.
Just a thought.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Polk RTI 12's are a bargain now at Future Shop (Best Buy in USA) for $899. i paid $1700 a year ago at another store. Although they are not worth what i paid in hindsight, they are an absolute steal at that price and i would assume kill all the other under $1000 speakers listed here.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Axiom M80's or M60's would be a good start to a high end HT. Like most floorstanders, these taper off in the upper 30's Hz range, so a subwoofer is best for the full HT experience.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Breeze said:

Thx a lot
Why get rid of the JBL's? Those are good units. Want to sell them?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I second the Axiom suggestion

jcPanny said:
Axiom M80's or M60's would be a good start to a high end HT. Like most floorstanders, these taper off in the upper 30's Hz range, so a subwoofer is best for the full HT experience.
Great speakers at very reasonable price. And if you dont like them, you can return them within 30 days for a refund of your money. You pay return shipping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis