Speaker recommendation for vintage Marantz

P

philipval

Audiophyte
Hi,

Need help!!

I just purchased a Marantz 2235 receiver, eagerly awaiting its arrival!!

Can someone please help me with speaker recommendations? I currently own a pair of Cerwyn Vega AT-8 and they are hooked up Sherwood FX-4109. Not great sounding but I have been getting by until now.

With the Marantz 2235 will the Cerwyns that I have do? Or do I need something like Kilpsch, etc? If yes then I would appreciate if someone can recommend used speaker models for about $500 which is in my ball park budget for now, maybe even less if at all possible.

General comments will also be good.

I'm sure my wife is going to coming running upstairs when I crank up the volume!! :) heh heh!..hopefully I won't have to worry about the neighbors as I live in a single home and can close my windows!!

Thank a ton for your comments and help.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You will want something as close to full range speakers as possible. Of course, your budget makes that difficult.

I would be looking at the B-stock of these speakers. If you have a larger room or want some stronger bass, I would save up a bit more and get a pair of these.

P

philipval

Audiophyte
Thanks for your recommendations. I agree waiting a little bit will probably work, need patience!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm curious, why the old receiver? Was it restored? How much did it cost? Is there something wrong with the Sherwood unit? Seems the Sherwood would have plenty of power.

Your CV speakers should be fine for now but I'd save up for a more significant upgrade for speakers. It'd be helpful to know where you are for any kind of used suggestions, but if you find something interesting you could always post it up.

Takes me back to the late 70s when I also had some CV speakers (have no idea what model, that they had 12" woofers is all I remember) and a Marantz receiver (altho I wouldn't go that route today).

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Found these specs for Marantz 2235B, based on this maybe one of the more knowledgeable ones here can help with speaker choice:

Power output: 35 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.25%

Damping factor: 45

Input sensitivity: 1.8mV (MM), 180mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 65dB (MM), 80dB (line)

Output: 775mV (line)

Dimensions: 440 x 137 x 356mm

Weight: 10.5kg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would go with higher sensitivity speakers, like CV or Klipsch perhaps.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Used Klipsch Heresy I/II with a sub you won't regret it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis