R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>A couple of questions re: speakers. &nbsp;I recently upgraded to a 6.1 system and am using a cobbled together speaker layout consisting of Klipsch KG4 fronts, a Klipsch sub, Venturi center, JBL 500 bookcase speakers for the surrounds and a Sharp &quot;2-way&quot; bookcase speaker for the center back. &nbsp;I realize this is &quot;somewhat less&quot; than state-of-the-art but am I at least getting passable sound until I can afford to upgrade. &nbsp;The sound seems to be okay and I suppose that's the main criterion. &nbsp;Also, due to room configuration, the rears are on a bookcase directly behind the listening position and I saw a sketch somewhere that showed the speakers facing up toward the ceiling. &nbsp;Is that the correct positioning when they have to be so close to the listener? &nbsp;Thanks for any advice.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Rich,
Facing up toward the ceiling? How were the other speakers oriented? Is that sketch readily accessible on the net, I haven't seen that one.

If you go to the &quot;Secrets&quot; site in the new mltich music section you'll see several concepts that may suite your situation.

Peter m.</font>

R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thank you both for your replies. &nbsp;The speaker is very close to head - about 18&quot; or so. That's why the facing up made sense to me. &nbsp;I can't recall the site where I saw that sketch but I pretty sure that is the way the speaker placement was shown. &nbsp;I will check the mltch site. &nbsp;Thanks again.

By the way, should the center back speaker be a true center speaker or can I get by with that old bookcase one?</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
What are you using a single center back speaker for?
Peter m.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi Peter, &nbsp;Sorry but I'm not sure I understand your question. &nbsp;The center back is the middle speaker in the rear for the 6.1 system. &nbsp;Am I misunderstanding you?

Rich</font>

R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Peter; &nbsp;I can't seem to find that multich site you mentioned. &nbsp;Is it on the Audioholics site?</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
The site is called &quot;secrets of high fidelity and home theatre&quot; If you Google it it should bring you to the exact site. It is an unbiased place for lots of info.

With regard to your rear center speaker. If you are talking about the effects portion of a 6.1 setup, generally this is done with a pair of speakers and not a single speaker.

I have toyed with the concept myself a while back but was talked out of it for some technical reaons which I can't remember. &nbsp;It is not really necessary to put expensive speakers back there but if you were to use a single center speaker &quot;which can be done btw&quot; how are you going to wire it to split the right and left channels?

Peter m.</font>

R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks again, Peter. &nbsp;I'll google for that site. &nbsp;I have 3 speakers in the rear - the two rear surrounds and then that additional center rear. &nbsp;I didn't make myself very clear. &nbsp;It sounds like I can get by with the old bookshelf speaker, if I understand you.</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
petermwilson : <font color='#000000'>With regard to your rear center speaker. If you are talking about the effects portion of a 6.1 setup, generally this is done with a pair of speakers and not a single speaker.</font>
<font color='#008080'>In the 6.1 discrete spec, there is a single center rear output channel/speaker. What you are referring to is like a THX (original, ultra, EX) setup which uses dual rear surrounds in addition to the regular surrounds. No big deal - there are so many formats it's hard to keep track of them all... 10.2 anyone?

Here's a decent reference page on the formats

Rich M, I gotta tell you, I'd probably matrix the rear center if the speaker was that close to me. Firing it up is in all likelihood going to just cause refelections and other havok which a matrix rear center will not.</font>

R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Hawke, &nbsp;I must admit I'm out of my league here. &nbsp;I'm not sure what matrixing is. &nbsp;And how do I then matrix the center rear?</font>

R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks. &nbsp;By the way, have you also never heard of pointing the rear speakers toward the ceiling?</font>

<font color='#000080'>Nope. But I assume that's because firing it directly at the back of your head would be obnoxious!</font>

R

Rich M

Enthusiast
<font color='#000080'>Peter and Hawke;  I found the site that mentions upward facing rears as a possible solution to room configuration problems.  It's here at dolby.com

Edit: Fixed incorrect link</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis