Speaker Position/Placement Advice for Off-Center Viewing

jhigh2000

jhigh2000

Audiophyte
Hello, everyone!

I need some advice on how to place my home theater L/C/R speakers when it is not possible to sit in the center sweet spot. I have two big, cushy recliners in front of the screen, which unfortunately puts the armrests in the sweet spot. The occupants of the chairs are off-center, such that the left speaker is closer to the left occupant, and the right speaker is closer to the right occupant. Something about the soundstage doesn’t quite seem right, and any adjustments I make strongly favors one position over the other. I realize there may be nothing I can do, but I thought I’d ask in case others have been able to overcome this.

Thanks!

plhart

Audioholic
The are so many ways to mess up the seemingly simple LCR set-up it will take a lot more information about your particular situation before you can expect an intelligent reply. A detailed description with drawing if at all possible would be the next step.

jhigh2000

jhigh2000

Audiophyte
Thanks...yes I will do my best. I've attached a picture of the space in question.

The R/L + surrounds are paradigm atoms.
The center is a paradigm CC-170.
The sub is a paradigm PDR-12 (LPF 80 Hz).

The problem is that the left speaker is too prominent for the person on the left, and vice-versa for the person on the right. The sounds are very localized the soundstage is not maintained. (Same goes for the surrounds). If I sit right in the middle, everything blends nicely and sounds very good.

Please let me know what additional information may be helpful.

Attachments

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I may get slammed for this response, but try this if you can.

Turn your mains straight.
Pull out into room more if you can, keeping center in line.
Or, if they are not in line with your center, then try them closer to the wall.
Try your sub in the corner.
Listen.
Then, a hair at a time, toe the mains in until you notice the problem.
Then, just toe out.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Try relocating the sub to a position away from the TV (first of all, not a bad idea, especially if your sub is not magnetically shielded). This will allow you to reposition the speakers without considering the postion of the sub.

2nd, while never a particularly good idea, try moving the speakers closer together. This could sharply reduce the size of the sweet spot and reduce the depth of the sound field, and while this all sounds bad, the closer spacing will reduce the distances between each listener and the respective speakers. It may, just may, improve the sound. My thought in this process of closing up the spacing is that I would achieve a similar sound field to that of sitting in the back of a theater watching/listening to a live production.

Maybe a better idea, get a new set of recliners :eek: one's without the armrests... which would allow you and your friend/lover/wife to sit closer together and enjoy the movie as well as the close proximity to each other. :D

jhigh2000

jhigh2000

Audiophyte
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Here's what I've tried so far: I've moved the speakers a bit closer to the tv which has helped to anchor the sound better to the motion on the screen. I've also experimented some more with toe-in. The atoms must not have a very wide dispersal as it sounded totally flat with the speakers pointed straight ahead. I double checked the paradigm manual, and it also recommends to toe in the speaker so that they "cross" slightly behind the listening position. I'll need to live with it for a few days and see how it feels. It's strange, I can go to bed thinking a particular tweak sounds really good, but when I listen the next day it sounds terrible. Must be some sort of listening fatigue.

I've also read on some other forums about doing an extreme speaker toe-in such that they cross in front of the listening position. I might give that a shot as well.

Thanks!

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
I read that "sjdgpt" mentioned he should move his sub - I'm curious as to where Jhigh should actually move his sub for the best sound?

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
cownd said:
I read that "sjdgpt" mentioned he should move his sub - I'm curious as to where Jhigh should actually move his sub for the best sound?
My first inclination would be to move the sub into the upper left corner, or to a position outside of the left (main) speaker.

The only desire in moving the sub was allowing the main speakers to be better located (without having the sub in the way).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis