P

printymcprintprint

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I've heard that it's a good idea to put your speakers on concrete tile rather than letting them rest on carpet. Is this true?
I've got JBL ND310s, which have small 1&quot; or so legs on the bottoms, so the speaker bottom doesn't rest directly on the carpet. Will a tile make a difference?
I'd appreciate the help, I'm a newbie.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I really don't forsee a huge difference as a matter of fact I think thats just one of those &quot;audiophile Voodoo&quot; things. But never had to try cause I have bookshelf monitors.

:)~

Bob</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>No &quot;audiophile voodo&quot; &nbsp;involved in trying to keep your speakers from moving as they are re-producing music, which is what your goal should be. &nbsp;

This is typically accomplished with spikes that pierce the carpet and contact the sub floor underneath.

If the speakers move at all while playing music (especially with bass) this can cause distortion that can be heard. If they are just sitting on carpet with a smooth finish bottom, they can move.

Your current 1&quot; legs may be spikes. &nbsp;Do they screw out?</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I found a article that talk’s about this.

It seems the basic idea though is to decouple the speaker from the carpet/floor so it won't rock during reproductions low frequencies. It may very well be possible that a speaker could rock back and forth due to the compressibility of the carpet. IF the low frequency coupling with the floor setup some kind of oscillation of the enclosure that would probably be a bad thing as the drivers would be moving toward then away from you.

Maybe Gene or Hawke can provide some guidance on this.

Here’s a link to the article I stumbled upon…

Spikes and Cones – What’s the point?</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>One question just occurred to me..

If you put your speaker on a tile then put the tile on the carpet, would the tile not rock to and fro just like the speaker (and thus the speaker)?

I think big honking spikes (like Bruce said) makes the most common sense.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>If it can move, spike it. If it's super heavy and stable, it probably won't matter. You can't go wrong by spiking it, though. Tile on carpet isn't a good solution.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis