Speaker placement for 5.1

J

Joe Reed

Audiophyte
I am finally setting up a home theater around a Yamaha HTR-5450. There are two seating areas which form a V shape with the TV, front speakers placed in the open end. Does anyone have suggestions for rear speaker placement? Would it be possible (or advisable) to use two sets of rear speakers? I also want to use the system for only music.

Thanks,

JR

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Joe Reed said:
I am finally setting up a home theater around a Yamaha HTR-5450. There are two seating areas which form a V shape with the TV, front speakers placed in the open end. Does anyone have suggestions for rear speaker placement? Would it be possible (or advisable) to use two sets of rear speakers? I also want to use the system for only music.

Thanks,

JR
.....Joe, I see rears as bringing the front soundstage closer to you, and the surrounds as widening the front soundstage....get the fronts split at least 8-9 feet, your center is the strongest of the front three....in a room longer than wide, and the front soundstage is firing the long of the room, get the front three up in the air a little to better fill the chamber, trust me....and, they'll only get cleaner, trust your subs to reach up a little, where the best tone of a sub bees, and you actually hear a voice.......best of luck, Joe....just get right in the thick middle of it....surrounds on the sides sorta'.....back somewhere around where you sit where the entire system localizes....surrounds to widen the front.....

.....edit....surrounds to widen, and hopefully add "clarity" to the fronts, as they widen....hold your right hand up....bring your forefinger to your thumb and make a gap one-millionth of an inch wide....that's how much louder you want your front soundstage than the surrounds/rears....set your system on 5 or 7 channel stereo....then switch to whatever....or don't.....

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis