G

<font color='#000000'>I was wondering if I am doing something wrong.

for years, I have had my floorstanding speakers and Rptv built into a wall. there is about 4 ft behind the speakers the only thing that shows from the tv and speakers are the screen and the speaker grills. am I getting the true sound from the speakers or am I holding them back by having them enclosed. your opinions are appreciated.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Well I see a couple if areas for concern. First, if they are main speakers and they are ported in the back then you would be loosing low frequency information into the wall instead of into the room. Second, being flush with the wall causes the wall to basically become like a giant front baffle of the speaker. This could cause some strange things to happen.</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
jeffsg4mac : <font color='#000000'>Well I see a couple if areas for concern. First, if they are main speakers and they are ported in the back then you would be loosing low frequency information into the wall instead of into the room. Second, being flush with the wall causes the wall to basically become like a giant front baffle of the speaker. This could cause some strange things to happen.</font>
<font color='#000000'>they are main speakers. but they are not flush against the wall. there is a 20ft wide x 4ft deep room that they sit in and only the front of the speakers show in the listening area.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I agree with Jeff. Having that placement could cause some strange, premature reflections. Depends on what kind of speakers your using as well. Try moving them out &amp; positioning them a few ways to see what happens. I would guess that would answer your question best.</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Since there is space around the speakers, the placement makes the space around it act like a port that could very well reinforce the bass. &nbsp;You must have a pretty strong bass response. &nbsp;The sound also gets diffracted a lot along the edges of that wall cavity. &nbsp;And the reflection off the front walls probably arrive at your ears about the same time as that from the speakers. &nbsp;Hence, the stereo imaging may not be ideal considering their driver plane of motion is aligned with the walls and the highly reflective TV screen.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis