Speaker opinions/recommendation

E

emsti

Enthusiast
Hi All, I was hoping to get your expert opinions on some speaker choices as I'm stumped.

I have the onkyo 270 receiver and I'm planning on refreshing my 5.1 system (and possibly use 2 of my old Yamaha speakers to expand to 7.1). I have already picked up 2 Infinity Primus 163s bookshelf speakers. I use this system for movies and music.

Speaker options
1. I heard the Infinity Primus 363s at Frys, and they're on sale. Though I'm not sure how to figure out if the onkyo 270 will be able to handle them as some folks on here agree the P363's should be rated at 4 ohm.
2. Other than those I liked the Polk RTi8s, but I've been reading those are quite old/dated.
3. I've been reading a lot of good stuff about BIC Venturi DV-64 speakers too - but not sure how to gauge them against the Infinity or Polk speakers.
4. Another suggestion I heard was to go with just 5 of the same speaker, in this case 5 Primus 163s, using 1 of them as a vertical center channel.

For options 1,2,3 I would probably match the center channel - but would appreciate your thoughts and any experiences you could share on how to go from here.

Thanks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can use the p363s just fine with the Onkyo, so don't worry about impedance. The worst that could happen is if you blast them for a long time at a loud volume, the receiver will just shut itself down to cool off. Even that probably wouldn't happen. I have run the p362s on a variety of different receivers and amps, never had any problems. The idea that lower impedance speakers can not be used with lower end receivers is kind of half BS. As for the Polks, I have listened to the Rti8s, liked the bass, didn't like the treble. I would still go with the Primus, especially if you are using a subwoofer. I haven't heard the Bic venturi, but looking at that design, I definitely would not trade the Primus speakers for them. As for 5 primus p163 speakers, that approach has its advantages, but I would go for the the p363s and a c351 center (better yet use a p363 as a center if you can). The p363s will be more powerful and have a sharper mid range thanks for Infinity's terrific CMMD mid woofer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I concur. I've used the P362 with some low power, low-end $200 AVRs, and never had a problem either.

E

emsti

Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm not thinking of buying another 5.1 system - was thinking of getting just the Front left, right and center channels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm not thinking of buying another 5.1 system - was thinking of getting just the Front left, right and center channels.
Since you already have the P163, I think the matching P363 or 3 more P163 will sound great.

What subwoofer? Must have a good sub.

E

emsti

Enthusiast
I live in an apartment - so I'm planning on continuing with my 8 inch Yamaha sub-woofer for now.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the feedback.
You can buy them separately on tigerdirect.com I had the 52's and the 22 center and they were fantastic, until I was flooded.:(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I live in apt as well and use 12" sub on a "DIY" platform. haven't heard complains specific to HT system yet

E

emsti

Enthusiast
I was looking at the specs for the Pioneer towers and the Primus 351 center. Could this combination be used together based on the specs alone?

Could this pairing work?
Primus 351 center
80HZ - 20 KHz
Sensitivity - 91 dB
Crossover frequency - 650 Hz, 2800 Hz

Pioneer FS 52
40HZ - 20 KHz
Sensitivity - 87 dB
Crossover frequency - 250 Hz, 3000 Hz

The Primus 363 towers aren't perhaps too far off from the Pioneers other than the sensitivity
38HZ - 20 KHz
Sensitivity - 93 dB
Crossover frequency - 350 Hz, 3300 Hz

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Sensitivity has little to do with it...easy enough to turn channel level's up/down to match
It's tonal difference's you should be worried about
Unfortunatly until you've got everything in place it'll be very difficult to know how different they are.
I wouldnt recommend mixing speaker brands on the front 3
It'll never be quite right

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Put your 163's in the back and get Pioneers for the front three.
Not only will you save money, but I have yet to hear of anyone who prefers the Infinities over the Pioneers.
(Of course, I am referring to people who've listened to both).

E

emsti

Enthusiast
I just got the Pioneers from Frys - they matched TigerDirects 98/tower and 67 for the center. Now I'm tempted to go with 3 Pioneer front towers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just got the Pioneers from Frys - they matched TigerDirects 98/tower and 67 for the center. Now I'm tempted to go with 3 Pioneer front towers.
Congratulations!
I'm not sure if you'd gain much from that or not. It shouldn't hurt if your set-up allows room for a tower.
Put the money you saved by going with the Pioneers into a decent sub. The speakers are too good to match them with a sorry sub. As long as your room is not too large, I'd consider $500 with SVS as a minimum budget for a matching sub.

M

Mtn. Steel

Junior Audioholic
Check out these Pioneers before you get the 363's: Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 Andrew Jones Loudspeaker System Review
I know it is all sujective opinion, but I drove 2.5 hours to audition those Pioneers. i had cash in hand and was prepared to ewalk out of the store with them. I was in a best Buy and I could not believe how disappointed I was. It was the worst sounding speaker in the entire store....by far. I REALLY wanted to like them, but they just sounded like they had a blanket thrown over them. My 2 cents.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
As i've said in other posts....demo's are pointless
Unless you manage to demo them in situ ..in your room
With your equipment

Going by all the reviews i've read, the pioneers are meant to be awesome..even before you factor in the budget price...
I'd take a guess they were badly setup in some way..
Accoustic's/eq setting's ect ect

That many good reviews can't be wrong.
Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

E

emsti

Enthusiast
I'd take a guess they were badly setup in some way..
Accoustic's/eq setting's ect ect

That many good reviews can't be wrong.
---

To your point Bob - I went into the Frys store this past weekend and the Pioneer center sounded like it was in an another room and the Polk centers sounded much better... and the Pioneer towers sounded pretty bad too. Turns out when I rocked the center channel a little it sounded better. They had stuffed the cable into the back of the center channel and it wasn't gripped properly, so when I rocked the speaker it would connect and sound better. With the towers only the right one was plugged in.

I have like 3 Frys close enough to me, within 15 miles, in one of the other Frys location, one of the Infinity towers again wasn't plugged and lo and behold the Sony FS7000 and certain surround speakers sounded better. Now that I think about it, they might have done the same to the Sonys (I did consider those initially, but compared to the Infinity 363s they sounded 'lost').

Sometimes I wonder if its just a marketing gimmick that these components come unplugged. Most of the demo rooms don't have enough space to put a hand in between speakers let alone check the wires at the back.

Wanted to call out what you said was exactly what happened with me. I guess its good to go into the store with some background, and use the demo rooms with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
E

emsti

Enthusiast
Frys has a pretty good sale on the Pioneer towers this week - they're at 77 a piece, and the bookshelfs for 77 for a pair.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis