• Total voters
D

docferdie

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>How do people listen to their speakers.</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I'm a fan of nearfield listening, and for some reason I get headaches listening to my speakers with the grill off, so I just keep it on.

Better that way anyways, as my speakers are all go and no show....looks increibly old with the grills off....doped silk tweeter, non-pressed paper woofer...I would use ugly to describe it. &nbsp;But I am a bachelor, and the WAF is no object, so LET THERE BE UGLY SPEAKERS!!!!!! &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I find that taking my grills off opens up the sound ever so slightly. &nbsp;I also have NHT SB2s which are a very attractive speaker...why not?</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>On. Cats in the house. They get the cloth every now and then. I pop 'em if I catch 'em. Better the cloth than the driver!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
The manual on my Mordaunt-Short MS914 speakers recommend listening with the grill off to eliminate diffraction on the grill's wood frame. Obviously, the speakers were voiced without the grill. Can't distinguish much when on or off. I have no particular preference. The speakers are all black and their blackness somehow contribute to their disappearing act when I dim the lights when listening. Not that its necessary as I often close my eyes when listening. But many times I do take the grills off as I enjoy watching the very clean MS all-dark-silver facade and drivers while listening. :D

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
I use Totem speakers which come without grilles. Grilles, (for speaker protection only) can be purchased for a small upcharge.

When performing my due diligence prior to investing in speakers which (in my case) were going to be used for both a quality music listening experience, as well as (with the addition of other speakers to complete the Theatre part of the experience,) I cannot remember reading anything from manufacturers websites that I visited suggesting that grilles added anything positive to the listening experience.

Peter m.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
If you live in a dusty enviroment or in a situation where you get lots of visitors with kids, it is better to keep your grills on at the cost of little sound detioration.

U

Unregistered

rubber

And, I don't like condoms, so why would I like grills?

Similar effect

I use grills, but only cause I have a son who likes to touch things... I love seeing the actual drivers for some reason.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Our cats prefer the grill cloth to the speaker cones, so grills on it is.

U

Unregistered

off

i perfer off.
i can hear an actually difference in the sound but i could live wiht out it. seeing hte drivers is also sweet. i could watch a earthquake supernova15 flap all day long.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis