Speaker Design Book

T

Twexcom

Audioholic
Hello.

Does anyone know of any speaker design books? (one that explains how to design cabinets)

I am having a hard time finding one. I keep finding electronics design books, and acoustics books, but only a couple speaker design ones with bad reviews.

I really need one.

Thank you for your time.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The best book I know is Speaker Building 201 by Ray Alden.

Speaker Building 201: A Comprehensive Course in Speaker Design: Ray Alden: 9781882580453: Amazon.com: Books

There are many ways to build wooden cabinets for speakers, and the methods vary widely depending on what tools and experience you have. As a result, I don't know of any books that are useful for a newcomer on how to build wooden cabinets for speakers.

Because it's not different from woodwork and cabinet making in general, you might find something if you explore books about those subjects. Maybe you can take a course on introduction to woodwork.

T

Twexcom

Audioholic
I take that back, the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook PDF is barely readable.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
The best book I know is Speaker Building 201 by Ray Alden.

Speaker Building 201: A Comprehensive Course in Speaker Design: Ray Alden: 9781882580453: Amazon.com: Books

There are many ways to build wooden cabinets for speakers, and the methods vary widely depending on what tools and experience you have. As a result, I don't know of any books that are useful for a newcomer on how to build wooden cabinets for speakers.

Because it's not different from woodwork and cabinet making in general, you might find something if you explore books about those subjects. Maybe you can take a course on introduction to woodwork.
Looking for some subwoofer design reading material. Any recommendations?
Is this book catered to speakers only?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Looking for some subwoofer design reading material. Any recommendations?
Is this book catered to speakers only?
For subs I'd just use molding software since no other drivers or crossover is needed. I use the next version up from this, but this the least expensive

Freeware

You need the T/S parameters if they are not in the databases of both (most manufacturers provide them). I bought the dayton woofer tester to generate my own as there can be varying parameters from batch to batch.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As has been suggested previously, buy a couple books on woodworking... especially cabinet building and joints. Also, finishing... @Swerd has previously recommended the Flexner book on finishing wood.

Both the Alden and Dickson books have chapters on subwoofers. But remember: a subwoofer is really no different than the bass cabinet of a standard speaker. All rules still apply!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Looking for some subwoofer design reading material. Any recommendations? Is this book catered to speakers only?
As ryanosaur said above, the principles for designing a cabinet for a woofer are the same. It doesn't matter if you're making a sub-woofer or a woofer along with other drivers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis