Speaker decision paralysis

M

mod

Junior Audioholic
The more I read, the less I seem to know for sure. My receiver will be a Yamaha RXV663 and I have a Klipsch KSW10 subwoofer. I originally thought I wanted ceiling speakers, but have read that the ceiling should be a last resort for placement. Then I thought about in-wall for the fronts, but not sure that gives me any flexibility. So today I went to a local Tweeter's and they showed me the Polk center LSIA4b ($250),the Polk towers RM40TGY ($356pr), and Polk surround TC610I ($150pr). I heard the towers and they sounded pretty good on a quick listen. I had also heard their Polk in-wall TL65i's ($500pr) and liked those. I've been reading so much that my mind is getting numb regarding speakers. The center, tower, and surrounds they showed me are about $800 with tax and that's fine. I can go a few hundred more if needed. I'm just getting more and more concerned about making a bad decision and it's probably because now I'm over analyzing everything. I'll mainly be watching TV and some movies. Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? I have a feeling that they'll be fine for my ears, as would most speakers in this price range. I'd appreciate your advice.

Pheaton

Pheaton

Audioholic
Hi,
Now that you have listened to a set of speakers, go out and listen to some more. You think that the first set will work for you, okay thats fine. Now do some comparison shopping. Look for three more types of speakers in your budget and go listen to them. Then go back to the original set and see if you still like how they sound. I would also suggest that you take a CD, or better, a couple of CD's that you are very familiar with and use them when auditioning speakers. That way you will be able to better judge the difference that you here between speakers. I would do this even though you will be mainly watching TV. As you have read there are many different speakers out there, but let your ears be the best judge. Once you have it narrowed down to one set or maybe two sets, see if you can take them home to see how they sound in your room. If you like everything you hear after all that, then those speakers will be right for you, and then you can sit back and enjoy them.

Hope that helps.

Pheaton

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Sell Klipsch sub. Take the cash from the sale and your $800 and welcome to the world of HT. :D

SVS SBS-01 system
http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
I'm thinking about going with these speakers however I can't quite make myself buy something so ugly. Most new modern homes need slick wall mountable speakers(unless you had a dedicated room to home theater but I need something for the living room). Those babies would look like bricks on the wall. I'm having a hard time finding a balance between slick looks, great sound and good priced system.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I'm thinking about going with these speakers however I can't quite make myself buy something so ugly. Most new modern homes need slick wall mountable speakers(unless you had a dedicated room to home theater but I need something for the living room). Those babies would look like bricks on the wall. I'm having a hard time finding a balance between slick looks, great sound and good priced system.

If you don't need to wall mount the speakers, and your able to go with stands. And you don't like the looks of the SVS speakers. Then these speakers are definitely eye candy. And they sound good too. I'd wait till AV123 puts them on sale again.

http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,172/category_id,21/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/

M

mod

Junior Audioholic
Sell Klipsch sub. Take the cash from the sale and your $800 and welcome to the world of HT. :D

I wouldn't mind selling the Klipsch (still in box) but why should I do that? I looked at the speaker system you gave the link for. What are you saying? I should just buy a speaker system? I looked at your website and saw your speakers. I see you have ceiling speakers. I also noticed they don't seem to be placed according to the usual recommendations in relation to your TV. Since you have experience with ceiling speakers can you offer any advice?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't mind selling the Klipsch (still in box) but why should I do that?
Because you will not get the performance from that Klipsch subwoofer as you would from the SVS subwoofer.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I looked at the speaker system you gave the link for. What are you saying? I should just buy a speaker system?
I'm not recommending a speaker system like a HTIB (Home Theater in Box). I recommended the SVS system because of that systems performance along with the subwoofer. 4 identical speakers, along with a matching center channel, and a killer subwoofer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis