Speaker Crossover Question

M

mdmale35

Audiophyte
I have the original crossovers which I have rebuilt, I also had another set of crossovers made that lowers the frequency of the woofer (boomy) sound, which I also like.

The original crossovers are great when the speakers are elevated off the floor, but if I place them on the floor or very low stands, the new crossovers are much better.

Question, Can I wire both crossovers in the speaker by splicing in the feeds to all the components without effecting the sound of either crossover?

Of course, I will add separate inputs for the main speaker wire feeds from the receiver.

Thanks,
R

H

head_unit

Audioholic Intern
If I understand your question, yes but no.
- You cannot have both crossovers connected to the woofer/tweeter, even if "disconnected" from the amp, because the amp WILL see the crossovers at the woofer/tweeter, terminals.
- Likewise you cannot just disconnect at the woofer/tweeter terminals because if connected to the amp, the amp will still see the other crossover even if not connected to woofer/tweeter.
--> You can do what you want only by totally swapping the crossovers, maybe bringing out wires from the woofer/tweeter and mounting the crossovers on the back of the speakers.OR using some like 6P2T (????) switches.

What speakers are these? What frequency are the two crossovers set to?
Woofers get boost and cancellation from nearby walls and floors. Definitely changing the height will affect this, so it makes total sense to me you get different sound and different optimum crossovers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis