Speaker covers: On or off?

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Until I visited this site and noticed that in the Epic 80 reference system not only do you guys keep the speaker covers OFF, but they look far cooler than way.

So I remove them from my M22s.

On:

Off:

Much cooler.

What do you guys do?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Apart from aesthetics and little improvement in sound, I would reccomend that you keep the covers on to protect them from dust and other hazzards.

This is how my speaker looks without covers and it is quite tempting for me but I too resist the urge.

</font>

J

Jeff Aguilar

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>My speakers did not come with grills. &nbsp;So I don't have to make the choice. &nbsp;I like them with the covers off, but with kids and pets, I would keep them on.

Jeff Aguilar</font>

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Are those electrostatic speakers?

How do they sound?</font>

J

Jeff Aguilar

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Yes they are. &nbsp;They are Martin Logan Aerius i's. &nbsp;And they really sound fantastic.

Before these I had a pair of Energy Veritas 2.1 and before that it was Energy Connesuir 2's and before that it was the Energy Take 5 and before that...KLH, Cerwin Vega, Sony and some others that I know that I am leaving out.

The Martin Logans have the best sound of any of the speakers I have owned. &nbsp;The mid range is incredible. &nbsp;You can really tell where performers are standing on the stage when listening to 2 channel music. &nbsp;My next upgrade will be to add a tube amp.

Oh, and they were not that expensive. &nbsp;I bought them used off of Audiogon. &nbsp;They are 6 years old.

Jeff</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Hey I like this thread, nice pics guys!

Just a few comments, what do you do when a speaker has no grill covers such as my babies &nbsp;

Seriously though, I have found many speakers sound better without the grills. &nbsp;Upon speaking to a few designers, they told me that they voice the speakers without grills and the defraction added by the grills is usually worthy cause to &nbsp;remove them during critical listening sessions. &nbsp;Conversely, some speakers are voiced with the grill covers on. &nbsp;I personally preferred the sound of Paradigm speakers with the grills on, but thats me.

I recommend trying for yourself and keep those grills on when the kids are around &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Couldn't resist to post mine  

Dynaudio Special 25 Anniversary Edition with exclusive cross-grain birsch veneer.  Yummy!

Abe

</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Abe;

What a beautiful picture! &nbsp;You should submit your entire system here and send it to Clint for our monthly contest. &nbsp;

I am currently reviewing the Dynaudio Audience 52-SE (Special Edition) speakers. &nbsp;Very nice!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Gene,

I'd love to when I am done with my integration.  I've sold all my 2-channel gears (except these gorgeous Dyn's) to integrate my HT and 2-channel into one system.   I am looking for a good receiver and subwoofer,  Yamaha RX-Z1/V1 and REL Strata III are in my mind right now.   Currently I have Yamaha RX-V496 receiver and PSB Image SubSonic6 subwoofer.  

I've had lots of good communication with Yamahaluver ( thanks man!) on receivers here.  Also I'd like to thank you for all the NICE reviews/articles here on Audioholics.   I just love the Yamaha sound.  Since I listen to music 90% of the time, Yamaha is the best for me.

stay tuned.

Abe</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Abe,

Those Dynaudio simply look marvellous, as for subs Rels are really very good but also add the Yamaha YST-SW800 and 1500 to your list.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I like mine with the grills off myself:

</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>The grills on my Mordaunt-Short 914 seemed transparent enought. But I still remove them during extended listening. &nbsp; Apart from not having anything in between my speakers and my ears, i like how the speakers look that way.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>More show, er, grill off.  

Just got a Center Channel -- Dynaudio Contour SC !  

REL Strata III subwoofer is on the way.

Abe</font>

S

Stanley

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I had a cat that pushed in one of the tweeters dust caps on one of my speakers. Never thought that cat could get to it but it did. Notice I said I &quot;had&quot; a cat? &nbsp;
</font>

A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I've never seen a center speaker mounted below and in front of the TV. &nbsp;It is an interesting alternative to placing it high, on top of the TV.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I noticed that most audio dealers have their center speaker mounted low, especially for front projections where it is almost impossible to mount them high.   I believe this also applies to flat panel TVs.    For me this is just for aesthetic reason.

Abe</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>It's always a good thing to have the front left, center and right speakers alligned to within a foot up or down along an imaginary horizontal line conneting their tweeters. &nbsp;So if the TV is mounted high or is large, set the center below it. &nbsp;Ofcourse, if the main speakers are ceiling mounted, the center should be as well. &nbsp;Just my 2 cents.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I have a full size center channel placed in the bottom of my 53&quot; RPTV angled upwards, this way I get some bass from my centers which are set to LARGE.</font>

A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>It seems like an interesting setup. &nbsp;My understanding of the ideal home theatre speaker setup is that the tweeters of the center and fronts should be at the same height, as well as at the same distance from the listening area.

While locating my center-speaker on top of my big-screen (52&quot; off the floor) puts it above floorstanding speakers, placing the center-speaker below the screen would seem to result in the center being below the front speakers.

It seems that adjusting the direction of the center speaker up or down may be the only other option.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>allengarman,

You are absolutely right: the ONLY way to make tweeters aligned is to tilt the center channel speaker.   There is NO way you can physically put it on the same height as the main -- it will stay right in the center of the TV screen!

Abe</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis