J

Johnth

Enthusiast
Novice to hi-fi
Have watched the last Audioholics u-tube content on speaker wiring
Understand (correct me if wrong) you can have different length speaker cables
The bi-wire connection from one amp shows the two red (or black) wires being connected to one amp terminal and then connecting to the two red speaker fittings. The justification for doing this appears to be rather subjective
But my amp has 2 red terminal points for each speaker so if bi-wiring each Cable has its own connection on the amp and the speaker.
If this is the case does bi-wiring make more technical and audio sense ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think you're referring to A and B speaker outputs on a stereo receiver? These are the same amp channel and same signal, so connecting to A+B is effectively the same as A or B.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Novice to hi-fi
The bi-wire connection from one amp shows the two red (or black) wires being connected to one amp terminal and then connecting to the two red speaker fittings. The justification for doing this appears to be rather subjective
But my amp has 2 red terminal points for each speaker so if bi-wiring each Cable has its own connection on the amp and the speaker.
If this is the case does bi-wiring make more technical and audio sense ?
Your amp has two positive posts for each speaker? That doesn't make sense. Maybe your amp just has a B channel option. If I were you, I would not try to bi wire or bi amp, especially since you are a novice. There is zero benefit to bi wiring, and only very marginal benefits to bi amping. With your limited understanding of speaker/amplifier relationship, I think you may end up damaging something or shorting it out.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Novice to hi-fi
Welcome to Audioholics. Do yourself a favor and ignore that video.
Yes. Your speaker cables do not have to be the same length.
The bi-wire connection from one amp shows the two red (or black) wires being connected to one amp terminal and then connecting to the two red speaker fittings. The justification for doing this appears to be rather subjective. But my amp has 2 red terminal points for each speaker so if bi-wiring each Cable has its own connection on the amp and the speaker. If this is the case does bi-wiring make more technical and audio sense ?
Shadyj is right. There is no benefit at all to bi-wiring and little, if any, for bi-amping. Because you seem unsure how to do this without harming your amp, you should avoid doing it.

J

Johnth

Enthusiast
My apologies I got the amp connections completely wrong there is only one black and one red for each speaker.
The speakers (monitor audio RX6) has 2 red and 2 black connections. The red connections (and the black) have a metal bar connecting the 2 red together.
I assume when only using a single wire in the red (and black) I keep the metal bar in place ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis