Speaker Cable Question(s) - How old is too old? Top brands for 2019?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I bought a reel of 14ga at Lowes and it's fine for all my in-wall speakers. Got a spool of 250ft and it's STIFF. Works great and is rated for in-wall installation.

Paying a lot for wire is pointless.

When I sold pro audio the only time we saw 12ga speaker wire (with connectors already installed) was for pretty long runs.

As others have stated if you want pretty wire kimber or blue jeans is the way to go. Top quality for both.

Also, nice avatar...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thing about that Sewell cable is the high strand count, so it should be nice and flexible....but their mention of skin effect is a bit misrepresented....

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
kimber kwik12 is a 12/4 type wire. Twisting them together gives you a 9awg. To my rear speakers is 47 feet that’s why I choose it. On long runs thicker awg is important. At 50 ft with 12awg wire your starting to get towards the max you want to take that type of awg. Not only that but the dielectrics and geometry cut back on emi and rfi. Which to me is better then wire in just a pvc jacket. You can get 25ft for $60 which is reasonable. Vs blujeans 10awg for $32.75 for 25 ft. That’s not that much of a difference.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
How about this cable? Does anyone know anything about "Sewell", or is that a junk brand?

https://www.amazon.com/Silverback-Strand-Speaker-Banana-Plugs/dp/B009RTC62K/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1559114153&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:3605314011&s=aht&sr=1-1&th=1#customerReviews

I am curious 10 AWG Belden 5T00UP https://www.parts-express.com/belden-5t00up-10-awg-2c-cable-hi-flex-in-wall-speaker-wire-cl2-100-ft-usa--102-1192 Apparently BlueJeans cable company likes that cable, for whatever that is worth.

The problem with that one, is I can't find any retailers willing to sell it in reasonable lengths without gouging me on shipping. Parts Express wants $11 shipping for 20 feet of cable.
I have some Sewell Silverback cables connected to my Infinity Primus 163s. They sound the same to me as the Audioquest Type 4 that replaced them on my Primus 363s. No big surprise there I only bought the Type 4s for the slightly (6 vs 10 ft) and to try them. The Sewells seem to be a well made product.

J

jviz4u

Audiophyte
I worked for Belden and still have spools of cables sizes 12- 18 AWG. My favorite is Brilliance 1308A 16 AWG black 4 wires.

Not sure if you can source them per feet or just by spool thru Grainger.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Use your existing roll of Monster Cable. There's no reason at all not to do so.

This basic question doesn't seem to be getting answered, and at 40 feet you will be perfectly fine and happy with it. I actually love Monster CIPro installation cable due to the high strand count and the excellent flexibility of the jacket in all weather conditions.

If you do run any cable in the wall, make sure it is CL3 rated, like your Monster Cable already is.

I wouldn't buy something new when you have a perfectly good cable to use already that really is a quality cable.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Two caviats on cables.

Some power amps will have measurable performance impairments with high capacitance speaker cables. Some exotic cables are high capacitance. So there can be a legit difference there; with the expensive ones being worse. Russell does show some amp measurements with this.

It's also possible for a cable to act as a filter (well, I think it requires more than cable in the cable but still) which, again, will *change* your sound; but not improve it. This too would be the result of [likely deliberate] design.

Expensive cables are snake oil. If you want to spend something for appearance (I sometimes do); that's fine. It's also usually nice to get decent ends on the coax so that they don't stick too hard or fall out too easily.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Is Belden reliable within the usual limits? I found there's an importer in my town and you can get quite a bargain for a spool. It would be 40% cheaper than what is Croatian equivalent of Monoprice stores (like Chipoteka or Bauhaus).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Is Belden reliable within the usual limits? I found there's an importer in my town and you can get quite a bargain for a spool. It would be 40% cheaper than what is Croatian equivalent of Monoprice stores (like Chipoteka or Bauhaus).
Belden has been used in commercial/industrial applications for decades because it meets the specs required. It wasn't until someone started selling expensive cable with a story that people even thought about wire. Until that time, it really didn't matter but some people (Noel Lee, Kimber, etc) have made millions telling their stories and convincing people that they'll hear miniscule, un-measurable differences if they spend the money on whatever it is that they're peddling.

Speaker cable, if it's of adequate gauge, is about as important as the wire over a champagne bottle's cork.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Belden, Mogami, Canare etc are commonly used in professional applications, wouldn't worry about using stock from any of them.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Ok. So my questions still stand.

What would be some premium black speaker cable for the main channels? Without paying ridiculous prices.

Is it fine using the 14g Monster cable xp hp for 40 foot runs? Or should I upgrade, since it will be a permanent in wall installation?
I think you will find that standard zip cord works as well as any.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Thanks guys. I ended up getting the Belden 10awg cable. It is doing great as expected

M

mopa67000

Audiophyte
I think kimber cable is the real deal if your looking for a boutique speaker cable. They have the lowest measured capacitance speaker cable I’ve seen
As long as it is not corroded, there's no reason to worry about it.

The crazy cable gods are still around, but have become boutique instead of mainstream because the average person noticed the man behind the curtain. BS can only survive so long.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis