Speaker cable Question and monoprice

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Hi, everyone

Knowing that I am on a budget I was planning on purchasing 300feet of 12 guage oxygen free speaker wire from Monoprice. I thought about blue jeans cable and impact acoutics(they raised the price to about $40) but blue jeans seems more expensive for their .38c a foot speaker wire.

My question is about How companies sell thier cable, and can I really go wrong with Monoprice? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2790&seq=1&format=2&style=

A broader question I really wanted to ask was, when I am buying speaker wire from the internet (not the in-wall but the "bulk" wire), is the bare wire all I am getting? I mean can't you get electrocuted if the wire isn't enclosed in plastic and its running all of the floor. Is the plastic from monoprice just enlcosing the whole circular speaker wire box.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
HTHOLIC said:
Hi, everyone

Knowing that I am on a budget I was planning on purchasing 300feet of 12 guage oxygen free speaker wire from Monoprice. I thought about blue jeans cable and impact acoutics(they raised the price to about $40) but blue jeans seems more expensive for their .38c a foot speaker wire.

My question is about How companies sell thier cable, and can I really go wrong with Monoprice? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2790&seq=1&format=2&style=

A broader question I really wanted to ask was, when I am buying speaker wire from the internet (not the in-wall but the "bulk" wire), is the bare wire all I am getting? I mean can't you get electrocuted if the wire isn't enclosed in plastic and its running all of the floor. Is the plastic from monoprice just enlcosing the whole circular speaker wire box.
No, you cannot go wrong with monoprice cable. Not sure what you question is about the wire insulation but it has clear insulation around it. No, it doesn't need another one like the ROMEX you may have seen.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
So monoprice is just as good as blue jeans, impact, and others

What makes the impact aocustics and blue jeans cable better than the monoprice. Would sound quality be affected?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You cannot be electrocuted by the level of voltage for the typical speaker.

Quality of construction and of the components is what you are paying for when you buy from someplace like Bluejeans, however buying premade speaker wires is generally not really worth it in my book because you can buy wire and connectors (ex: banana) and put them together quite easily yourself, like what you listed. Bananas make all the connections simpler, though there is nothing wrong really with bare wire - just be very careful of stray wires touching the receiver's chassis.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
j_garcia said:
, though there is nothing wrong really with bare wire - just be very careful of stray wires touching the receiver's chassis.

I think he may have missed the clear insulation on that spool of wire. If he is really considering really bare wire, uninsulated, I would not suggest it as the wire needs to be close as possible to reduce inductance. Bare could short out at anyplace; just not a good practice at all.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
I didnt want bare wire, I thought maybe monoprice was selling ininsualted

However,

Well it looks as if monoprice is selling insulated wire which is good.

"Quality is what you are getting from blue jeans cable?. Explain all you audioholics how is blue jeans 12 guauge cable better than Monoprices, I presume it would sound the same, the monoprice is oxygen free as stated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What I mean by quality is regarding their assembled products - interconnects, HDMI cables, etc... For speaker wire, I've tried many varieties and found that it makes the least difference in the system, so don't spend a ton on it.

Bare wire - just to be clear, I mean bare wire at the ends, only long enough to make the connection at the speaker or receiver. You'll be hard pressed to find speaker wire that is completely bare. That would be a guaranteed short and a dead receiver.

Last edited:
H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Difference between CL2 and CL3 and quality question

I notice monoprice sells cl3 wire, but isn't cl2 more expensive that cl3 because of its quality. Monoprice's price for cl3 wire which hasn't come in yet seems expensive compared to impact acoustics and cables to go partners.

I am about to buy Monprice speaker wire, but I am still debating whether to go with stands or mounting wire( a white colored in-wall wire would look better and have better WAF.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis