T

Tallcane

Junior Audioholic
I am very new to the HT world and am preparing to make some choices. I expect to purchase a high def plasma screen soon and I want to add a HT system. I was considering the yamaha 1500 or 2500 and need speakers. I do not want to go crazy on the budget. I have used Polk in ceiling speakers in my house and love them. The set i was considering was Polk RTi6, CSi3, PSW303, and their new in ceiling Ti80. What does everyone think of this setup? Would you suggest looking elsewhere such as Pinnacle or Paradigm, Athena, etc? I appreciate everyones thoughts. Thanks.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Nice choices

Tallcane said:
I am very new to the HT world and am preparing to make some choices. I expect to purchase a high def plasma screen soon and I want to add a HT system. I was considering the yamaha 1500 or 2500 and need speakers. I do not want to go crazy on the budget. I have used Polk in ceiling speakers in my house and love them. The set i was considering was Polk RTi6, CSi3, PSW303, and their new in ceiling Ti80. What does everyone think of this setup? Would you suggest looking elsewhere such as Pinnacle or Paradigm, Athena, etc? I appreciate everyones thoughts. Thanks.
I find the Polks and Paradigms very similar in sound, as well as enjoying a powerful receiver. If you go Polk or Paradigm, I highly recommend the 2500. I would go with the older Polk 505 or 650 if you can still find one. I don't know anything about Pinnacle, other than their stuff isn't cheap. I found a CSi5 for $200 at CC. It was a floor model, and I love it. It puts out some spectacular bass for a center channel, and the voice is almost perfect.

Are you aware Yamaha is coming out with a new line of receivers this year? That will make the 1500 and 2500 drop in price quite a bit. They may be called the 1600 and 2600, and feature XM Satellite reception.

T

Tallcane

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Buckeye. I was not aware that Yamaha is coming out with two new receivers. Any idea when? I asked this in another thread but how do you feel about online retailers who are not authorized dealers? Safe to use? Do you recommend buying a third party warranty?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Late summer

Tallcane said:
Thanks Buckeye. I was not aware that Yamaha is coming out with two new receivers. Any idea when? I asked this in another thread but how do you feel about online retailers who are not authorized dealers? Safe to use? Do you recommend buying a third party warranty?
I think a minimum warranty is needed - at least 90 days. That's the time period that something usually goes wrong. I've been back and forth recommending mid end receivers. I would seriously consider the Marantz SR8400 at www.ubid.com right now as a no brainer. Next choice would be a Pioneer 1015 from Best Buy. Here's another one you can't beat...

www.fotoconnection.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=11015&RefTag=nextag

I would not buy any equipment from an online retailer who cannot offer first party warranties. I'd rather buy B Stock with a limited warranty.

I think late summer or early fall is when Yamaha is releasing it's new line.

T

Tallcane

Junior Audioholic
Out of curiousity, does the UBID marantz receiver come with a warranty? I would not think so.

How do the Athena models I have seen you tout in other threads compare to the polk system I laid out. Obviously, the Athena system would be much cheaper since it is on sale just about everywhere.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis