Speaker advice for built-ins

D

dfunk

Audiophyte
Good day to you all ! Im in need of some advice on speaker choice in a somewhat challenging acoustical environment... I have Built-ins on each side of a floor to ceiling rock wall fireplace... Bookshelf speakers are my only option.. I currently have a mix of equipment from my other systems but would like to get the same brand speakers all around if possible.. currently my fronts are B&W 602 S3 , front wides are Klipsch Rb25's, surrounds are the SVS Ultra surrounds , Center is an Klipsch 6504-Pro-THX in-wall speaker built into the front of my fireplace mantel. subs are dual SVS SB13 Ultras, SVS offers the Ultra Bookshelf however its rear port fireing back into the cabinet could effect the sound ? Right? In The past Ive had predominantly owned Klipsch but the Books now also have rear ports.. any opinions /advice? Thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers are fantastic speakers, but you're correct about the rear port. As far as matching them all, the front 3 are the most important for timbre matching. The effect (surround/height) speakers aren't as critical to match because they're meant for effects and don't get nearly the playing time as your front l/r and center channel.

That being said, I do understand wanting everything to match for aesthetic reasons. I'm a huge fan of SVS' Ultra line of speakers, but there are a lot more choices out there. Do you want to replace everything? Got a budget? When you say 'built in' do you mean a cubby for bookshelf speakers or are you using in wall speakers?

D

dfunk

Audiophyte
Hi and thanks for your input.. I'm not wanting to replace everything just to get all matching.. I'm committed to the klipsch center channel as i custom made the mantel to fit that inwall 6504, ( looks and sounds pretty sweet ) as that was about my only option for a center channel.. I am not planning on any more inwall speakers .. only used the one as it was the best use of limited options and space on the fireplace wallbelow where the TV hangs .. matching again isn't a big deal ... im more interested in matching performance specs ... I thought around $ 1000 max for fronts..

D

dfunk

Audiophyte
Sure!! In the center of the livingroom wall is a floor to ceiling rock wall fireplace ( TV above the mantel) ..On each side of the rock wall are built in cabinets. the lower sections are cupboards with doors which house my audio components.. the upper 2/3rds are open shelves( adjustable )
Currently my bookshelf speakers sit on the top portion of the cupboard sections. Above the speakers are the open , adjustable shelves .. Does that help? Descriptive writing was not my strength in college ha ha !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure!! In the center of the livingroom wall is a floor to ceiling rock wall fireplace ( TV above the mantel) ..On each side of the rock wall are built in cabinets. the lower sections are cupboards with doors which house my audio components.. the upper 2/3rds are open shelves( adjustable )
Currently my bookshelf speakers sit on the top portion of the cupboard sections. Above the speakers are the open , adjustable shelves .. Does that help? Descriptive writing was not my strength in college ha ha !
Dimensions? Pics? Why not convert to more inwalls for a even presentation across the front?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
The RBH SI-770 and SI-770R are the only speakers I know intentionally designed and tuned to be placed within built-ins. You might send @AcuDefTechGuy a PM and ask about prices. Otherwise, I'd guess something on-wall, like the GoldenEar SuperSat 3, the Axiom Audio M22 on-wall, these Canton GLE 410.2, or these Atlantic Technology FS 3200. I'd also thought about recommending sealed bookshelfs, like the Ascend HTM-200 SE or the NHT C 3, but I believe NHT has had some quality control issues as of late. Not sure whether they've gotten those sorted out yet or not.

Last edited:
C

CoryW

Audioholic
I know it’s late, but I have owned three 770/R for many years. It was easy to upgrade to the AMT style tweeter. They are the best imaging speaker I have ever heard. I have no plans on replacing them ever, unless I win a drawing on theee Decimo.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Good day to you all ! Im in need of some advice on speaker choice in a somewhat challenging acoustical environment... I have Built-ins on each side of a floor to ceiling rock wall fireplace... Bookshelf speakers are my only option.. I currently have a mix of equipment from my other systems but would like to get the same brand speakers all around if possible.. currently my fronts are B&W 602 S3 , front wides are Klipsch Rb25's, surrounds are the SVS Ultra surrounds , Center is an Klipsch 6504-Pro-THX in-wall speaker built into the front of my fireplace mantel. subs are dual SVS SB13 Ultras, SVS offers the Ultra Bookshelf however its rear port fireing back into the cabinet could effect the sound ? Right? In The past Ive had predominantly owned Klipsch but the Books now also have rear ports.. any opinions /advice? Thanks
RBH SI-770 or 770/R are LCR speakers designed specifically for cabinets etc. They have way more quality output that most single driver bookshelves. I’ve had mine in cabinets for years. They are awesome. Best of luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis