SPDIF not working??

S

stevie555

Enthusiast
I have a realtek AC '97 soundcard with logitech X-530 speakers (5.1) connected using the standard 3-jack setup. When i play DVDs (using powerDVD), one of the options for the audio settings is to play on SPDIF. However, when I select this option, I get no sound at all out of my speakers. When I select the "6-speaker" option it works fine, but I'm not getting true surround sound unless I use SPDIF, right? What can I do to get SPDIF(/true surround sound) working for me?

B

bitpoh

Audioholic Intern
In order to use the spdif pass-through option in your software DVD player, you will need to establish a digital connection (via either optical or coaxial digital) between your sound card and the speakers. It seems like you are using analog connections ("standard 3-jack setup") which would explain why spdif doesn't work.

Edit: I just checked the specs for X-530, it doesn't seem like it supports digital connection, which means you won't be able to use the spdif option.

Last edited:
S

stevie555

Enthusiast
Is SPDIF the only way to get ''true surround sound" out of movies, or will a 6 channel setup do the same thing?

B

bitpoh

Audioholic Intern
I think you should do fine with your current setup with the software DVD player (Power DVD) doing the 5.1 channel decoding.

B

BigGuy

Audioholic Intern
There is also a "digital only" option in the volume control settings,(windows volume control) under advanced I think. This needs to be checked off. I know you said you selected it in your DVD software, but it might also need to be selected here. I just went through this issue setting up my music server.
Brian

S

stevie555

Enthusiast
Theres no Digital only option in the Windows volume control, but in my soundcard program it has a few options like "No output, Output Digital Only, Output Digital and analog" etc. but they do nothing when I select the different options. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. I guess i'll wait till I get my next set of speakers until I tackle the SPDIF hookup, until then, the 3-analog jack is working fine. I was just trying to figure out if SPDIF was the only way to get 'true' surround sound, because that is how it is described in the PowerDVD help file, but since I don't have the hookup for the speakers, its a no go.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis