Source Selectors (or devices like them)

J

JJScottUA

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi, I am new to this website and this is my first time posting. I'm sorry that I have not participated in the discussion before bothering you all with my question. I couldn't seem to find a better place to turn than here though. Here's my situation:

Although I am only 21, I have been into home audio and video since early high school. After years of collecting more stuff, my current system is getting to be quite complicated. In fact, my roommates and I have so many different input devices (xbox, ps2, n64, snes, nes, cable, vhs, cd, dvd, etc.) we feel that we need to have two video output devices. We already have a TV, but we are seeking to add a computer system with large size monitor as well. We would like to be able to control the input and output of audio/video so that we can choose which signal displays on a specified device. This is easy enough with most AV selectors on the market.

The catch is that we would like to have the output devices operate simultaneously and independently from each other. I mean, if we wanted to watch the basketball game while playing ps2, we could do so. Or perhaps we want to listen to our massive collection of mp3s on surround sound while playing xbox on the big screen... I'm sure you get the idea. I have researched this topic for many hours and have been somewhat unsuccessful in understanding the technical jargon and sheer volume of devices in this area.

First, can someone tell me what device it is that I am looking for? I have not found a source selector that allows this multiple independent input output feature that we are looking for. And I do not know anything about mixers, &nbsp;distributors, or routers, anything for the technically professional. I'm a mechanical engineer, not an AV expert.

Second, how much is this gonna cost us? If I have to buy professional equipment, I know that's gonna drive up the price by quite a bit.

Third, is a device such as this easy to build if necessary? My father is very experienced in electrical devices and could help me do so.

Phew, I know this is a lot to ask. Thanks for reading this if you've gotten this far. And thanks in advance if you can help me in my quest.

A true audioholic
Josh</font>

<font color='#008080'>OK... I'll tackle some of it...

You will need a device similar to this A/V switch, or if you have more money, this one. Route all of your games through this box and get the output to go into one of your receivers' inputs.

Your receiver is going to continue to handle the rest of the audio/video switching so hook up everythig else there. If your receiver switches video, route the the output to your monitor.

Issues to consider:

&nbsp;- XBox 5.1 output will need to be routed directly through the receiver to get surround sound.

&nbsp;- I'm not sure what you want to accomplish with a computer system. If you want hi-def video, you would need to set up a HTPC. Or perhaps you just want to use the PC for playback of your MP3's and such...

&nbsp;- MP3s don't play in surround sound. &nbsp;

&nbsp;- Some new receivers do actual video switching. In other words, you can send it S-Video in, and it routes the signal out of the component outputs. Your receiver probably doesn't do this, so be aware of the limitations of your TV, receiver, and input/output choices.

That's it fornow... until I hear more feedback from you on your set up...</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
D

duff

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I've been looking around for a big switch for video game systems.  I friend of mine is a bit of a fanatic and has been buying up some old ones, so he must have a couple dozen different systems.  

He's got at least 2 that have optical audio cables (xbox, PS2), and moving forward I'm sure every system will offer this, so that's a requirement for at least some of the inputs on the switch.

Anyone ever see an A/V switch that extravagent?</font>

<font color='#008080'>Yeah, but only integrated into a receiver like my Yammy RX-V3000

Not sure you'd want to pay for an optical video switcher. Chances are you could get a whole (used) receiver for what they'd charge you for it.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>Yeah, but only integrated into a receiver like my Yammy RX-V3000

Not sure you'd want to pay for an optical video switcher. Chances are you could get a whole (used) receiver for what they'd charge you for it.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi hawke,

The AZ-1 also features optical switching.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks for your speedy responses. Thank you hawke for trying to help me out.

Let me explain a little more why we want this system. Having a integrated computer, or HTPC, allows for more flexibility than ever before in home theatre. First, it will be hooked up to our LAN to allow for internet access and intercomputer access. This means we can play mp3s and movies straight over the network. Or we can order pizza without ever having to get up from the couch. Between me and my roommates, we probably have 10 or more near DVD quality movies (or TV shows) on the hard drives of our computers (and we are constantly downloading new ones). This would mean we could watch those in the comfort of our living room instead of cramming ourselves into each others rooms to watch them. Not only this, but with a sizable hard drive (we're hoping for 80 gigs) we can use the computer to download more movies and store them without taking up space on our individual computers. We could also have a Tivo like system on the computer (they have programs that allow you to do this) so that we can record shows w/o the VCR, that way we don't miss a single sports game even with studying. And the HTPC idea is something that I was already planning on. You see, I have a DVD drive in my computer. It's a Creative Labs Dxr3 12x DVD player, which means it has the decoder card to allow for excellent quality playback. I plan on installing this drive into the new computer so we can watch DVDs on a high resolution screen (ie the monitor) while having 5.1 channel sound. On top of all this, a computer also allows us to play game system emulators, run an x10 system for home control (a very nice capability, I already run this in my room), and have a server for our LAN games. The possibilities are very broad and tantalizing to say the least.

Why I'd like independent output for the system is simple. With five of us together, things get a little busy. Sometimes I want to watch a baseball game while my roommate wants to play Medal of Honor. This would allow us to do both. Also, right now with the NBA playoffs and baseball season happening, I would love to be able to watch both at the same time. (I know all this takes is a cable splitter and a tv tuner card, but you get the idea) I kind of explained this before, so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The computer monitor and the TV will be separated by at least a few feet which allows us to watch separate video feeds simultaneously.

Anyway, so I think I may have come up with a solution. Let me run this by you hawke and see what you think. My receiver is a bit old, I've had it for about 4 years. It does allow for video source selection and would work with a system like you (hawke) suggested. But what if I did this. I obtain RCA splitters for each device along with two AV source selectors (preferably with amps in order to boost the signal). The output of one of the source selectors is connected to the TV, one to the computer monitor. With each of the system components capable of feeding either of the AV source selectors, we can choose which feed goes to which display. The xbox and computer will have it's sound directly connected to the receiver for 5.1 channels (I'll probably need an optical source selector as well since I only have one optical input on my receiver). My question with this system is this. How much signal loss will accompany the use of the RCA splitters? I don't think it will be enough to matter, but then again, I probably don't really know enough to make to make that judgement. I think this may be the cheapest and easiest solution, although it will add more cords and interconnects to the seemingly hundreds I already have. Let me know what you think hawke. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again for the help

Josh</font>

<font color='#008080'>Your solution is cheap and easy, but is not an &quot;audiophile&quot; solution.... &nbsp;

Splitting audio outputs will drop your signal voltage, but will certainly not prevent the sound from 'getting there,' so your goals will be achieved. If you had unlimited resources, you would probably feed all of the devices into a box (or 2) and switch the output, rather than the other way around as you propose - preventing much signal degredation (the switch box is already an interfering factor.) But for video games and playing &quot;backed up&quot; DVDs your idea should be fine.

Your goal of having the video and audio arrive at both destinations will be accomplished this way, and at the lowest cost. In addition, the XBox may be able to send optical to the receiver, and analogue to the computer. I can't recall the 5.1 adapter configuration...</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis