SoundStage Loudspeaker Question

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
I just picked up a pair of SoundStage Stage 500 loudspeakers. I heard that they were made by Harman/Kardon but i cant seem to find any info on that. It appears that this brand is only sold in Canadian stores, so im not sure if anyone hear well have heard of it. Im just wondering about the specifications.

Impedance - 8 Ohms
Sensitivity - 90dB
Frequency Response - 40hz-20hz
Handling Power - 250 Watts

2.5 Way Triple 6" Tower Speakers

I picked them up for $400, they are normally $900 but i got them on sale.

My question is do they sound like good speakers to keep based on the specification and well my receiver power them.

thats the receiver i have. im looking for good sound quality and im wondering if you think this well work good for music.

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
edit - my receiver is a Yamaha RX - 397 stereo receiver. its 50 watts per channel

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just picked up a pair of SoundStage Stage 500 loudspeakers. I heard that they were made by Harman/Kardon but i cant seem to find any info on that. It appears that this brand is only sold in Canadian stores, so im not sure if anyone hear well have heard of it. Im just wondering about the specifications.

Impedance - 8 Ohms
Sensitivity - 90dB
Frequency Response - 40hz-20hz
Handling Power - 250 Watts

2.5 Way Triple 6" Tower Speakers

I picked them up for $400, they are normally $900 but i got them on sale.

My question is do they sound like good speakers to keep based on the specification and well my receiver power them.

thats the receiver i have. im looking for good sound quality and im wondering if you think this well work good for music.
That specification is meaningless. I don't see any info about them on the Net.

I would highly doubt, that Harmon Kardon had anything to do with them. Unfortunately I think you have been conned into a set of white van speakers.

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
i was looking and i found they are distributed through Jam Ind, in canada thats the company that handles brand like JBL. what is a white van speaker.

maybe i well just return these speakers then

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
"white van" anything is something knockoff. "white van" purse would be a knockoff gucci or something.

Who did you buy these speakers from? If its a retailer, that's a lot of money to charge for something you can't even find on the net.

Get your money back and we'll help you find something better.

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
it was at Visions which is a big chain store in Canada. they carry a lot of Polk, Pioneer, Onkyo, Harman/Kardon, JBL, Kef and so on. When i was at the store i noticed they had show rooms for only 2 brand. they had a JBL show room and a Soundstage show room, both were filled with speakers from each brand. I have purchased my entire Home Theater from them over the past few years as i pieced it together. they have a 60 day return policy so its not problem to return the speakers

they feel like good quality. they have a piano black front like the flat panel tvs and they have those curved boxes.

Last edited:
G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
i found a big picture of them, but i need more posts so i can post the link

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
i was looking and i found they are distributed through Jam Ind, in canada thats the company that handles brand like JBL. what is a white van speaker.

maybe i well just return these speakers then
Are these your speakers?

Sounstage says it is a division of Jam industries. However there is no mention of Soundstage on the Jam Industries site. Their consumer division is Erickson, who import a lot of lines including Harmon Kardon.

However I seriously doubt HK have anything to do with these speakers.

These speakers look like a mess. I get suspicious right away when I see a rear firing driver. There are five drivers in these speakers, and being sold in box for $400. These have to be junk and they look like it.

I would get rid of them.

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
looks like older Erikson product....

http://www.get-marketing.com/product erickson loudspeakers.htm

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38991

So, not white van. :rolleyes: Remind me of the JBL Venue series for some reason.

Most importantly - you picked them up. How do they sound to you??:cool:

Notice soundstage on this page but link no longer exist:
http://www.eriksonconsumer.com/en/content/powerpoint-training

those speakers in the first link are the ones i have, they dont have a rear firing driver. i hooked them up last night. they have lots of bass, the high sound good and so did the mids. they dont feel cheap, but im not an expert

colin.p

colin.p

Audioholic Intern
Most of the big box stores sell "home" brand speakers like Precision Acoustics (Best Buy) or Quest (Future Shop), that are all "designed" in Canada and assembled in China and imported by companies like Jam. They are very similar in design and I wouldn't be surprised if they all use the same components.
The "better" siblings of Quest are Sinclair that are now sold in The Source.
As far as sound is concerned, they do the job, but you obviously can get much better (at alot more cost, of course).

Sound Stage speakers look alot like the Precision Acoustic speakers from BB, but seem to be quite a bit more pricier at $400 a pair, especially since BB has them on sale quite a bit. I think that for that much money, you can get better quality (and get a brand name for bragging rights on this and other audio forums ;))

But hey, if they sound good to you and you are happy with the sound, who am I to say otherwise.

Colin

On closer examination, they may be better than PA or Quest, maybe more along the lines of Sinclair quality (quality that may very well be debatable?)

Last edited:
DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Are these your speakers?

Sounstage says it is a division of Jam industries. However there is no mention of Soundstage on the Jam Industries site. Their consumer division is Erickson, who import a lot of lines including Harmon Kardon.

However I seriously doubt HK have anything to do with these speakers.

These speakers look like a mess. I get suspicious right away when I see a rear firing driver. There are five drivers in these speakers, and being sold in box for $400. These have to be junk and they look like it.

I would get rid of them.
I'm not going to venture an opinion on how good/bad they are. But I do know, from experience, that internet pics of speakers, or anything else, can be very misleading.

I've seen speakers online and then the same speaker in a store, and the internet pic didn't do the speakers justice.
But that's only the cosmetics, what really counts is how they sound to the op. Either he thinks they sound good for the price he paid, or he doesn't. He either keeps them, or returns them and trys some other brand.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I have soundstage speakers and Iam really happy with them. I use the 500 model for my rear sides an I have the powered 800's for my fronts. my room is huge an they belt out pretty good. so to say there white van speakers ID have to say no.if they sound good to you thats all what counts,I don't think i'll be upgrading any time soon.

G

GZA

Junior Audioholic
I have soundstage speakers and Iam really happy with them. I use the 500 model for my rear sides an I have the powered 800's for my fronts. my room is huge an they belt out pretty good. so to say there white van speakers ID have to say no.if they sound good to you thats all what counts,I don't think i'll be upgrading any time soon.
how long have you had your for? and how much did you pay for you 500s

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
its been around two years I'll have to find the bill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis