Soundproofing a concrete block wall

J

jcroasii

Enthusiast
Hello again,

I'm building a home theater in my basement and would like some advice on sound proofing.

I share a concrete block wall with another resident. I would like to soundproof my room so that a very limited amount of sounds gets through the wall.

Here's the solution I was thinking:
-Install R13 Studwall insulation
-Install Audimute Peacemaker soundproof sheets over the studwall and insulation.
-Install QuietRock drywall

So essentially, sound would have to travel through the Quietrock, then the soundproof sheet, then insulation, then concrete block, and finally the other resident's stud wall.

My question is, what recommendations do you have in soundproofing the wall? Has anyone here done such a project? Anything that you would of done differently?

I've done some research and I would like to get as high STC rating as reasonable, maybe a rating of 60 if that's not too much.

I basically want to turn up my speakers up while watching a movie and not have neighbors complain. My home theater audio will be about $5000, so you can get a feel on what type of speakers/receiver/sub I'll be getting.

Thank you

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The best way to block sound from going through is to build your stud wall without attaching it to the block wall. Build it the same way, just don't mechanically couple it. If that wall goes all the way up to the roof (fire wall), it would also be best to avoid attaching it to the floor joists of the level above it, too. If you can build a box inside a box (your theater inside of the basement space), make it free-standing.

J

jcroasii

Enthusiast
The best way to block sound from going through is to build your stud wall without attaching it to the block wall. Build it the same way, just don't mechanically couple it. If that wall goes all the way up to the roof (fire wall), it would also be best to avoid attaching it to the floor joists of the level above it, too. If you can build a box inside a box (your theater inside of the basement space), make it free-standing.
I'd like to lose as little space as possible. Can the stud wall be as little as 1/8 inch away from the wall or does it matter as long as it's not attached?

Thank you for the advise.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
that wall is only part of the equation....

highfigh

highfigh

I'd like to lose as little space as possible. Can the stud wall be as little as 1/8 inch away from the wall or does it matter as long as it's not attached?

Thank you for the advise.
More distance helps but 1/8" doesn't give much leeway for materials to move, which they always do, over time. If you frame the wall on the floor and cover the back side with drywall, stand it up and secure it, install your conduit (I would definitely recommend this for all wiring locations) and then insulate/install the sound block, it should attenuate the sound greatly.

T

Ted White

Audioholic Intern
Steel studs are stable and will allow you to build closer to the block. Make sure it's bare block with no existing furring and drywall

T

Ted White

Audioholic Intern
Be careful what you read/ believe. Look for actual lab data.

J

jcroasii

Enthusiast
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/library/articles/triple_leaf_effect/

Have a look at the data at the end or that article. Block wall data.

The products you mentioned are standard MLV and damped drywall. Much less expensive, higher performance options are available.

Highfigh is right about the decoupling
Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to follow something like this, with maybe some modifications depending on my further research.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/solutions/soundproofing_walls/

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I share a concrete block wall with another resident. I would like to soundproof my room so that a very limited amount of sounds gets through the wall.
I have my doubts that a concrete wall even needs soundproofing. A big part of soundproofing is sheer mass. There’s no sheetrock with the kind of mass concrete has.

Before you spend your time and money I’d suggest setting up a temporary system and then going next door to your neighbor’s and see just how much sound is getting through.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have my doubts that a concrete wall even needs soundproofing. A big part of soundproofing is sheer mass.

Before you spend your time and money I’d suggest setting up a temporary system and then going next door to your neighbor’s and see just how much sound is getting through.
Wayne

i live in a 12 unit, 3 floor, flexicore condo. i am 1st fl.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexicore
let me just say, my neighbors KNOW when i like a movie. and they hope(pray ?) that i don't like it too much.
the OP, his mileage may very

that is exactly how to begin. though i expect he will need more mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
highfigh

highfigh

Wayne

i live in a 12 unit, 3 floor, flexicore condo. i am 1st fl.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexicore
let me just say, my neighbors KNOW when i like a movie. and they hope(pray ?) that i don't like it too much.
the OP, his mileage may very

that is exactly how to begin. though i expect he will need more mass.
Invite him over, get him drunk, take pictures of him in several compromising positions preferably in a sleazy dress/fishnets/spike heels and makeup, and put him on a train with a one-way ticket. I seriously doubt he'll ever bother you again.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis