T

Tyrant

Enthusiast
Hi, I am currently in the process of building a new home and I am planning to use the basement as a dedicated home theatre room.I should have about a 20' x 15' available area with two sides being outside walls(cement). My wife insists that we at least sound proof the ceiling of this room just so the entire house doesn't have to listen to what I'm listening to :D . Anyway, I was wondering if I should just sound proof the entire room but I'm hesitating because we really won't have any neighbours to piss off, but I have heard that sound proofing can have positive effects on room "acoustics". If anyone can comment on whether this is true or not would be great. Also, any suggestions on sound proofing would also help ( I'm plannning to use sound reducing insulation, a sheet of sound-proof panelling and a sheet of drywall on top of that)

Tyrant

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I've heard claim that palster walls make the best acoustic sounding rooms. I grew up in a plaster walled house but really couldn't notice the acoustics. That is a way to go albeit expensive. The cement should probably be covered by at least two layers of drywall IMO. Carpetind would be a good idea too of course.

R

RonK

Enthusiast
If you only do the ceiling, it won't accomplish much, you really have to do the whole room. Take a look at my site for details on how I did it, both in the old home theater and in "Home Theater 2", currently under construction.

I know what I did worked in the old one - never woke anyone up, at reference listening levels!

U

Unregistered

Acoustics

You might wish to get Everest's "Master Handbook of Acoustics", it addresses not only this question, but many others that you might find interesting. Despite the title, you don't have to be either an engineer nor a math whiz to understand it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis