Sound bar for my dad

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I've finally convinced my dad to upgrade from his Bose Acoustimass nonsense. He constantly complains about not being able to understand dialog.

What he really wants is a soundbar system, which... fine, it should be good enough.

The Vizio SB4051-C0 looks like a pretty good choice. 5.1, a serviceable subwoofer.

If I want something better, what should I look at? The Vizio SB5451W-C2 looks good at $500. Is there anything else I should consider? We definitely need something that will play with some volume (I think he's getting a little hard of hearing though he won't admit it).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Check cnet review of C0. They said it put out too much bass even with sub turned as low as it will go.

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Too much bass? Has there ever been such a thing? ;)

He will be using a Pioneer VSX-819h that has MCACC so that should presumably help smooth out the response some.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm a little confused. Does the sub have an amplifier built-in? Based on Cnet's comment, I would believe the receiver did not control the sub. Otherwise, they should have been able to tame the bass at the receiver.
If this were a normal powered soundbar system, a lack of control would make sense because they don't use receivers.

For $700 (open box)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefkht7005/kef-kht7005-sound-bar-av-speaker-package-black/1.html#!specifications

Also, these look like a sweet deal on surrounds if you end up piecing a system together.
$130/pair (new)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/mordcarn3blk/mordaunt-short-carnival-3-bipole-speaker-black-pair/1.html

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, yes, I wasn't thinking. I'd be using SPDIF output to the soundbar so MCACC wouldn't even apply. That KEF is really interesting, but I'm not sure about a soundbar only 30" wide.

That KEF KHT1505 system looks really intriguing though.... he might be OK with that. Hmm

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I do remember looking at the Energy Take a last year when I was trying to convince him to upgrade.

I should also mention that he has an enormous TV. I can't remember if it's 70 or 80".

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Those are very cool, but I think they're out of his price range. Even at half off, he'll need to add a sub of some kind and some surround speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Yamaha bar I linked is about 50". Generally, I think companies assume that if you have a 70+" TV you are going for receiver and speakers.
NHT also has some compact systems, but starting at about $880 for 5.1.

Don't miss this one. The design of the speakers makes it look like a desktop PC system, But the 5 pounds each for the satellites gets my attention (compared to 1.1 pounds for the KEF 1505). It may actually be too bulky, but Focal makes some nice stuff:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalsib51blkob/focal-sib-cub3-home-theater-speaker-system-black-open-box/1.html#!specifications

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I had an NHT SuperZero system for a while. I really loved it for music, but it just didn't cut it for home theater use. The dynamics just weren't there. They're larger than he would probably want anyway.

I think the KEF, with the included stands and horizontal center, would be much more his style. I'm still considering the Vizio 54" 5.1 system, but that and the KEF KHT1505 are probably the top contenders for now.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
It's my understanding the ZVOX stuff isn't bad. Something like the Soundbase 770 might do the trick. Hook up should be a breeze considering the subwoofer is built right in. Of course that means it won't have much in the way of deep bass, but depending upon what your father prefers that may not be a problem.

There's also the Pioneer SP-SB23W. Not the most esthetically pleasing thing on the market, but anything designed by Andrew Jones is worth a closer look.

A dark horse would be the Cambridge Audio TV5. CA makes some very nice stuff, and I can personally attest to the fidelity inherent in the BMR drivers they use. Dual subs built in as well. Not sure if something about 2.5 feet wide would work though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis