Sony's new console (PS4) to be revealed tomorrow

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks Like Sony Will Reveal The Next PlayStation On February 20 [Update]

We've heard bits and pieces about the next PlayStation for quite some time now, and rumors have been swirling that both Sony and Microsoft's next-generation consoles will be announced this year, likely before E3. Although Sony has kept quiet about plans for their successor to the PlayStation 3, released in 2006, the Japanese game-maker is expected to release a new console either later this year or in early 2014.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't get anything. That's lame!
Yeah, or you just didn't get it yet. They started sending them out last week apparently, so it may take a while before they get them all out. So far, nobody seems to know what the criteria is. Some users said they've been Prime for years and spent quite a bit on PSN and didn't get anything either.

Based on the other article too, it says they will be changing the title from PlayStation Network to PlayStation World and will apparently also release a service called PlayStation Cloud.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Well they announced the PS4 minus the pricing, or a specific release date (just ahead of the Holidays this year) Not even a sneak peek of the console just it's controller.

ps4-controller-1.jpg

Here are some specs from the Press Release,

Main ProcessorCPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine
MemoryGDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk DriveBuilt-in
Optical Drive (read only)BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/OSuper-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
CommunicationEthernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
AV outputHDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

<tbody>
</tbody>

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They said the HDD will be "massive" as well, but I presume that means 500GB or 1TB.

It was also mentioned that they intend to have ALL games work with the Vita, not just certain ones. The console will also have the ability to be controlled via most phones (though I am guessing that will be Android based only?)

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
I'm quite intrigued. Owning both 360 and ps3 it may be hard which to replace first.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not backwards compatible I guess I'm looking forward to the xbox 720 then.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They initially said it would be backwards compatible with both PS2 and PS3 games however I suspect it will be like the PS3 is right now - only versions that were created specifically for that, not the actual old discs. 2 of my 3 PS3s can play PS2 games, but basically I haven't done that since the first few months after buying the PS3.

I just bought and started playing Okami HD on the PS3. One of the best games ever released for the PS2.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
B.C. will not be available in terms of disk based gaming, Sony is examining backwards compatibility options by providing service for older games via the PS Cloud service. From what I have read thus far it seems that the cloud service will be a let down.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not backwards compatible I guess I'm looking forward to the xbox 720 then.
There's a good chance that won't be backwards compatible either. Rumor had been that they're going to be switching to an x86 processor as well, and emulating the 360 would be quite a tall order.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis