Sony X800 player? Is it ready for 4k?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I have yet to play a 4k UHD movie on my Sony X800 player. I have set it to bitstream. Is there anything else i need to do to make it ready to watch 4k UHD movies?

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
I have this player and don’t remember needing to do anything special. It’s disappointing though that the player didn’t get the update for Dolby vision like the x600. I’m planning to eventually upgrade into the Panasonic that supports both HDR 10+ and Dolby vision for future proofing.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Shouldn’t. I have the 700 and it was ready to go.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I have this player and for some reason playing ultra 4K disc it says it’s in 1080. I spent the day on the phone with Sony epson and marantz and got nowhere

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I just got my new BenQ 4k projector mounted to the ceiling. I went and bought a 4k movie and my projector is saying 1080p as well. But.. with The Avengers Infinity War Blu Ray i get 3840x2160 24hz. Is my projector upscaling or what? Why wont it do 3480x2160?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't had any problems with my x700 from last year... but which 800 do you have? The new 2019 or the 2018 model? @snakeeyes has both x7 and x8 from 2018, iirc... perhaps he can chime in? ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What AVR is the Sony connected to? I know on my Yamahas that I had to change the HDMI mode in the Yamaha menu to allow 4K video on the HDMI.

Also be sure you are using the 4K HDMI port on the Sony. One of the HDMI ports is audio only.

And finally be sure the HDMI cables are certified for the latest HDMI versions such as Version 2.0a. I replaced mine in 2016 with Monoprice cables. They don’t cost too much.

The disc itself must be 4K UHD of course. The discs are usually about $5 more than regular Blu-ray discs. They are usually packaged in black cases with silver trim instead of blue cases. Most are HDR10 and say “HDR” on the case. Most also come with the regular Blu-ray included so be sure you loaded the 4K one. Usually that one has black on the painted side with silver logos of 4K UHD.

And the TV must be 4K UHD. What TV do you have?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
My projector is the BenQ LK970. I dont think its native 4k. The AVR is a Denon X4400H

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I put in the Blu Ray of the How To Train Your Dragon and now it says 4k where as the 4k movie said 1080p? Weird! The Avengers is saying 4k/24p now too. But before The Avengers was saying 3840x2160. Which is better 3840x2160 or 4k/24p

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I have this player and don’t remember needing to do anything special. It’s disappointing though that the player didn’t get the update for Dolby vision like the x600. I’m planning to eventually upgrade into the Panasonic that supports both HDR 10+ and Dolby vision for future proofing.
It could still happen. I'm about to upgrade from a Sony BP-Ux80 (a Sony X800 bundled an HDMI cable) to a Sony BP-X800M2 with Dolby Vision and I believe HDR10+. I wouldn't be surprised to see any upgrades that do not require better hardware to trickle down through firmware upgrades but I can't say for sure. On the other hand I doubt that they'll do anything before the M2s are selling well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFRDT16

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
It could still happen. I'm about to upgrade from a Sony BP-Ux80 (a Sony X800 bundled an HDMI cable) to a Sony BP-X800M2 with Dolby Vision and I believe HDR10+. I wouldn't be surprised to see any upgrades that do not require better hardware to trickle down through firmware upgrades but I can't say for sure. On the other hand I doubt that they'll do anything before the M2s are selling well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFRDT16
The x700 got the firmware upgrade adding Dolby vision and magnolia salesmen told me the x800 wasn’t upgraded because of hardware incompatibility.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I am definitely wanting a X800M2 at some point after the price drops a bit. I already have a x800 and a x700 but I could use one for my 3rd room. :)

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
This is driving me nuts why a 4K disc on the Sony X-800 is saying on the display 1080 /24P I even bypassed the receiver and hooked the player directly to my epson 1040 projector and it still says 1080 . So according to what I can find online something is not compatible with the 4K signal it's says it needs to be in 24Hz? But I can't see how to change this in the player or projector? It's driving me mad lol

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
This is driving me nuts why a 4K disc on the Sony X-800 is saying on the display 1080 /24P I even bypassed the receiver and hooked the player directly to my epson 1040 projector and it still says 1080 . So according to what I can find online something is not compatible with the 4K signal it's says it needs to be in 24Hz? But I can't see how to change this in the player or projector? It's driving me mad lol
I'm confused, Epson describes the 1040 as a 1080P projector, if that is correct then all the Sony is going to output is 1040 friendly 1080P. Is this incorrect? The 24 is probably referring to 24 frames per second (FPS), the speed that most movies are filmed at and the preferred playback speed for movies. TV shows are usually taped at 30fps, while 60fps will give you a more soap opera like effect. Anyway, my Sony has no trouble at all outputting 4k to my 4k OLED display and dang does Planet Earth II look good in 4k.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/PowerLite-Home-Cinema-1040-1080p-3LCD-Projector/p/V11H772020

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Damn sorry for some reason I wrote the model number backwards I have the epson 4010 projector. At first the Blu-ray player was saying the 1080 disc was 4K and the 4K disc was 1080 and with no atmos. I fixed that in the settings but not the 4K disc showing in the display 4K

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure what is causing your 4k problem. I'd start at the simple stuff like the X800's settings, make sure the software is up to date. And I'd also try swapping in a known good HDMI cable.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Do you think a new HDMI cord would make
A difference? Did the firmware upgrade called Sony marantz epson. I was told it should be set on 24Hz but there is no changing to that on the blue ray and I can't see it on the projector.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I just suggested a known good HDMI cable because old cables get kinked or otherwise damaged. I would not go out and spend a fortune on a fancy cable. Unless you have a really long cable run I'd just borrow one from another TV.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
This is driving me nuts why a 4K disc on the Sony X-800 is saying on the display 1080 /24P I even bypassed the receiver and hooked the player directly to my epson 1040 projector and it still says 1080 . So according to what I can find online something is not compatible with the 4K signal it's says it needs to be in 24Hz? But I can't see how to change this in the player or projector? It's driving me mad lol[/QU
Here's what the Sony UBP-X800 manual says:
Enjoying 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

1 Prepare for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback.

• Connect the player to your 4K TV using

a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable.

• To view 4K Ultra HD 60p content, make

sure that the proper setting is selected

in HDMI settings on your TV.

• If you use BRAVIA TV that supports

4K60p, set the TV's "HDMI signal

format" setting to "Enhanced format".

2 Insert a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc.

The operation method differs depending

on the disc. Refer to the instruction

manual supplied with the disc