Sony VW-675ES Lens Shift Suddenly Limited

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I got a brand-new Sony VW-675ES projector in May, a replacement for one I'd bought on eBay that had a problem with one of the SXRD panels.

It is ceiling-mounted, inside a custom cabinet bolted to the main carrying beam. It sets on a non-slip rubber mat, which is glued to the bottom of the cabinet.

It's been working great til last night. I've only used the lens shift memory function maybe 6-8 times, as most content I display is 17:9 from an editing workstation. But last night I watched a movie in 2.4:1 aspect, so I used the lens memory to access the 2.4:1 setting that I'd programmed in a couple of months ago. That worked fine, but after the movie, I switched back to 1.85:1 and instead of finishing the adjustment all the way vertical and down, it stopped a couple inches north of where it usually does.

I tried manually adjusting Lens Shift with the remote, but it would not budge. So I decided to power down, unplug the AC supply for a few minutes and go take a break. 30 minutes later, I plugged power back in and powered up the projector. Tried to adjust the lens, but it would not go. Tried calling up the widescreen memory and then called up the 16x9 memory. But it still stopped 2" north of where it should be. Top of the image was on the proscenium curtains and a 2" unlit margin on the bottom of the screen.

As a workaround, I put a 1/16" shim under the back feet of the projector. That got the image where it should be, but now I've got some keystone distortion--the corners of the image are not symmetrical to the corners of the screen now.

Has anyone had their lens shift lose its ability to rack through the full range after a half dozen shift operations? Has anyone found a way to restore function?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The only time I had a lens shift issue it turned out to be that one of the pins which adjusts shift had popped out of the socked that adjusted the shift. Took me thirty seconds to pop it back into place. It's worth noting that I could manually push the lens in one direction as it was free floating at that point. I knew something was up, but it took me a bit to pull the top off the projector. Maybe 30 minutes or so for the entire repair.

Not sure if that has anything, at all, to do with the issue you are running into. Especially with it being a newer model.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Hmmm.. but if a pin disconnected, wouldn't you lose an entire axis of movement?

It seems I lost the end of my range only, going down. Since the unit is ceiling mounted, I am using almost all the lens shift range to get the image on screen. That last 2-3% of shift is gone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis