B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I think I gave up the idea of buying a Oppo 4K Blu-ray player 800 bucks plus shipping in Canada. So I was thinking of a cheaper player the Sony UBPX-800 for 398CDN.i was reading good reviews on it any thoughts on this one? Well I was about to pick it up when the sales guy tried to tell me it might not work with my projector because it’s not 4K.he said it’s to much information for the projector and I told him it was going to be passing through my marantz 4K receiver to the projector. I’m not sure why he would be saying this but it does not make sense he also said on his friends 1080 it took 15min to load the movie and the next movie it would not play at all!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I gave up the idea of buying a Oppo 4K Blu-ray player 800 bucks plus shipping in Canada. So I was thinking of a cheaper player the Sony UBPX-800 for 398CDN.i was reading good reviews on it any thoughts on this one? Well I was about to pick it up when the sales guy tried to tell me it might not work with my projector because it’s not 4K.he said it’s to much information for the projector and I told him it was going to be passing through my marantz 4K receiver to the projector. I’m not sure why he would be saying this but it does not make sense he also said on his friends 1080 it took 15min to load the movie and the next movie it would not play at all!
If it is a sales guy from BB or similar, take that with a grain of salt. As you know already if you are connecting the Sony to the SR7010 anyway. Even the Sony on its own should work with 1080p TV or projectors as 4K players are downward compatible.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
That’s what’s I figured. But the 800 I found out won’t have the Dolby vision upgrade but the SonyX700 does which is even a cheaper Blu-ray player but looks kinda cheap have you heard any reviews on this?

W

Whit Blauvelt

Audiophyte
Can't speak to the Sony models at hand, but I just upgraded from a really cheap Sony BDS-P3700 to a hundred dollar BDS-P6700, and the improvement in visual and especially audio quality is immense, despite the two units having largely identical advertised specs. This is going into a Onkyo TX-NR828. For concerts where I have both blu-ray and CD, the CDs still sound ever so slightly better played in an Emotiva ERC-3, but that's up to the DAC in the ERC-3 being better than the DAC in the Onkyo. So at least on Sony player is excellent despite the price; and at least one other is as cheap as you'd expect all around.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I tend to trust Amazon computer reviews. The Sony UBPX-800 has below 60% five star rating and 16% 1 star out of over 400 posts. Issues seem to be buggy software and failures some in replacement models as well. The cheaper one has better reviews but only about 60 reviews.

I had a higher end SONY BD a few years ago and it was junk. It had a very short life and was buggy. However I have a very small cheap Sony BD player that has been hacked, so I can play a CD from anywhere and that one is fine. I would be wary of the 800.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I only could find good reviews for the Sony X800 on the net and YouTube. So I went out and picked it up last week. I know it’s no Oppo but so far I am pleased with it it certainly isn’t made like junk like other players in that price range it actually has a metal case. The only thing I don’t like so far is the remote is pretty limited

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I only could find good reviews for the Sony X800 on the net and YouTube. So I went out and picked it up last week. I know it’s no Oppo but so far I am pleased with it it certainly isn’t made like junk like other players in that price range it actually has a metal case. The only thing I don’t like so far is the remote is pretty limited
Can you give more info on remote limitations?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
So far with the remote it’s really small and kinda cheap looking but the big thing is it doesn’t light up. And you have to exit the movie to get to setup if you want to change something. But so far I am happy with it. Loads fast and is quiet

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Sony UBPX-800 and enjoy it. It definately IS 4K. It feels very sturdy in the build and there is a quality feel to it. I bought mine at Christmas for $189.00 taxes in from Amazon. Mine has been trouble free so far. This unit replaced my Sony BDP360 which is beginning to get flakey now so I can't complain about its longevity.

Here's the review count from Amazon.ca

Sony.jpg

Last edited:
D

Don Walker

Audiophyte
We enjoy our 800 player. Play everything from standard DVD to 4K discs. The weakest parts of it would probably be it’s built in apps. But I don’t use them or need them. An Apple TV does better for that. You can adjust the settings to output resolution. I chose to set it to original resolution so my tv can do the upscaling. The remote is also pretty bland, but we use our Sony tv remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis