Sony UBP-X800M2 Delayed Track Start

P

PWRmx24

Audioholic Intern
Many probably know this player (all of them, some of them?) has a glitch where when starting a new track it delays audio for about 2 seconds. Anyone have any experience fixing or a way around it. Software update from the main menu has not fixed it for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it the player or your avr? Some avrs can take a bit of time to switch codecs....

D

DIBstangguy

Enthusiast
I have had skip/lockup issues with the MKI and MKII. 4K's hangup intermittently or skip. Blu Rays play fine without so much as a hiccup. I hoped the MKII would resolve the issue. Had the problem almost out of the box with the MKII I replaced the MK I with. Returned it and got a replacement unit that worked for about 2 months fine then started exhibiting same issue. I always clean my discs with a lint free microfiber clothe and blow off lightly with canned air before playing. Discs are never left in the tray with power off. I swapped the HDMI 2.0 cable with another and had the same issue. I upgraded cables to Ethereal Velox series 2.1 HDMI cables 3 meters max length. Problem still present. Played a brand new 4K DVD Dungeons and Dragons and it hung up @ 1:48:23 in on first play. Would not clear. Cycle power reset, skipped to begining of scene 13 and played through the end fine. Bought a Panasonic UB420 and playing all 4K's through it I have had issues with and not one skip/lockup yet. Time will tell.

Lots of chatter about this across the web with Sony 800 MK series. Lots of Youtube videos on it. I pulled the drive unit on the MKI a few months back and observed heavy lithium grease on the ball screw drive that operates the laser read head. I cleaned the excess grease off, cleaned the laser lens and put back together and played one of the discs I have issues with and there was no problems that time, but given how erratic it is this is no guarrantee to the issue. one of the biggest issues with larger ball screws failing on cnc machining centers is over greasing. So who knows.

I have monitored temps on the unit, length of play time, everything. No luck. Comes and goes on the current MKII. Seems to be more noticeable on 4K discs reading at higher bit rates of 70+ MBPS. Discs that have no issues are operating are reading at 60MBPS or less.

I hope the Panasonic resolves the issue. If so I may just opt for the UB9000 before my return date expires that everyone raves to be the OPPO replacement equal. Thought about the unit out of France by Reavon (UBR-X100 or even the UBR-X200) but having a hard time tracking the US distributor in Florida to get a price quote and availablility. Suppose to be the end all be all unit. IDK??!!

Good luck.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have had skip/lockup issues with the MKI and MKII. 4K's hangup intermittently or skip. Blu Rays play fine without so much as a hiccup. I hoped the MKII would resolve the issue. Had the problem almost out of the box with the MKII I replaced the MK I with. Returned it and got a replacement unit that worked for about 2 months fine then started exhibiting same issue. I always clean my discs with a lint free microfiber clothe and blow off lightly with canned air before playing. Discs are never left in the tray with power off. I swapped the HDMI 2.0 cable with another and had the same issue. I upgraded cables to Ethereal Velox series 2.1 HDMI cables 3 meters max length. Problem still present. Played a brand new 4K DVD Dungeons and Dragons and it hung up @ 1:48:23 in on first play. Would not clear. Cycle power reset, skipped to begining of scene 13 and played through the end fine. Bought a Panasonic UB420 and playing all 4K's through it I have had issues with and not one skip/lockup yet. Time will tell.

Lots of chatter about this across the web with Sony 800 MK series. Lots of Youtube videos on it. I pulled the drive unit on the MKI a few months back and observed heavy lithium grease on the ball screw drive that operates the laser read head. I cleaned the excess grease off, cleaned the laser lens and put back together and played one of the discs I have issues with and there was no problems that time, but given how erratic it is this is no guarrantee to the issue. one of the biggest issues with larger ball screws failing on cnc machining centers is over greasing. So who knows.

I have monitored temps on the unit, length of play time, everything. No luck. Comes and goes on the current MKII. Seems to be more noticeable on 4K discs reading at higher bit rates of 70+ MBPS. Discs that have no issues are operating are reading at 60MBPS or less.

I hope the Panasonic resolves the issue. If so I may just opt for the UB9000 before my return date expires that everyone raves to be the OPPO replacement equal. Thought about the unit out of France by Reavon (UBR-X100 or even the UBR-X200) but having a hard time tracking the US distributor in Florida to get a price quote and availablility. Suppose to be the end all be all unit. IDK??!!

Good luck.
Initially I had some problems with it locking up, but with firmware updates that issue seems resolved. Those units need plenty of air space around them.

D

DIBstangguy

Enthusiast
all firmware updates current. resolved nothing on the 1st mk II or second MK II unit replaced under warranty. i keepmup with all firmare updates on everything i own...unless one has come out since 2.9.24 when i ran a forced update check and the unit indicated firmware up to date.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony X800 mk2 can get warm and then 4K discs can lock up. Give it room to cool on all sides and the bottom too. Best advice I found was to prop it up an inch or so, so it’s not sitting directly on the shelf and then that heat can escape.

D

DIBstangguy

Enthusiast
It has plenty of room. sits out in the open, not in a boxy enclosure with a door or unvented audio rack. ambient air temps are 70 to 72 year round. monitored temps with a fluke temp probe while operating the units. surface temps underneath the carriage unitn never get above 80 degrees F. I have gone as far as to add insulator material between it and the shelf it sits on for added protection b4 hooking up the swapped out unit and this has no bearing on the intermittent issue. I have even elevated it so it gets better airflow underneath. nothing sits atop of it. Chances are if you suggest it I have tried it. I have even tried different HDMI port inputs. I have rsn direct to the tv bypassing the receiver on the video side and only run audio through the receiver. Most people likely stream today anyway not csring at all about the crappy over compressed audio signal generated through their Sonos sound bar, or even back through eARC from a smart tv when it comes to 4k. I prefer uncompressed audio. If I could get the same audio format on any blu ray that is offered on 4k blu rays I would just watch blurays and be done. 1080P suits me fine and looks great. But I want Dolby Atmos or the best format provided audio wise and sometimes blu rays are not in the same audio format as 4k. example given Topgun Maverick. 4k = dolby atmos. bluray = DTS.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I have Sony's 4K X700 player, the only 4k disc it will freeze up on is GOT season 8. Will not freeze up on any other 4k disc or DVD, or blu-ray disc. Like you and others I tried several x700 players plus, LG, Panasonic 4K players. All of them froze up only on Game of Thrones 4K disc. Long story short it was the disc itself, defective. Been having this Sony4K X700 going on 4 year's it performs well, gets used often.

Last edited:
D

DIBstangguy

Enthusiast
^^^ I originally thought the issue could be disk related. I went and bought another episode of Star Wars 7 some months later after watching the episode repeatedly on blu-ray and then going back to the 4K only to be disappointed. The new disk hung up in the same spots intermittently as the first did. I assumed having waited several months to make the purchase the new disk was from a different batch run. So that technically eliminates "bad disk" as a probable cause. Glad you are having success with your unit. I would not wish this on anyone. It is embarrassing and frustrating when watching a movie with guests over and the unit locks up. Currently all testing using the Panasonic UB420 unit have proven the disks that failed to run consistently without issue in ANY of the 3 Sony units I owned, to run flawlessly as designed with ZERO issues. This is with identical connectivity as used with the Sony units. The only thing I am considering is upgrading to the UB 820 as it has an improved processor that is being raved about. Sorry to burst any devoted Sony brand bubbles, but Panasonic seems to have a better handle on either processing or handling of the disk in the carriage assembly one way or the other. I can find no other explanation.

Having worked directly for and with over seas manufacturers (across the Pacific as well as across the Atlantic) at a technical support level, I know first hand the arrogance that can play into situations such as this. I call it the "Big Pond" dodge. It's like trying to get technical support or a sales quote locally in NA via email request verses a physical phone call request. The first they can blow off, the second they are stuck dealing with directly. Distance makes it more difficult to get OEM's to admit they have an issue.......unless they have a large NA presence. It is only when these OEM's start seeing a larger scale issue (usually on their home fronts) that the issues begin getting attention, and then they will often give excuses, attempt coverups through unannouced tech pub updates and/or firmware upgrades, and take credit for finding the issue and resolving it themselves. The US suffered from this in the 70's massively in the automobile industry. It took decades to catch up. But that is another story.

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis