Sony UBP-X800II SACD output from S/PDIF?

• Thread starter sterling shoote
  • Start date
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
About a year ago I read a forum page, maybe here, where a poster convinced me that at least one of Sony's contemporary Universal Players would output SACD at 24/176 via S/PDIF. I would like to test that notion; but, I have ZERO single layer SACDs. All of mine are hybrids. At any rate, I'm just wondering if any here have any experience with the topic? I recently inherited the aforementioned Sony and outputting via HDMI to my 2.1 channel Marantz NR1200 the Sony delivers DSD 2 channel 2.8 mHz/1bit.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That for sure would be interesting to know if that is the case. I've a few non-hybrid SACD, including some with only SACD stereo and MCH layer.

I've been ripping the stereo layer of those using a HDMI audio extractor connected to an Oppo BDP-93EU, but the Oppo output is PCM 16/44.1

What I want the most is to rip the MCH layer of all my SACDs ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You want the player to convert the dsd layer and output it as 24/176?

S

sterling shoote

You want the player to convert the dsd layer and output it as 24/176?
No. I am not wanting, just wondering if indeed the unit will output single layer stereo SACD material via S/PDIF at 24/176 as I have heard it will do. i cannot test it, since I have no single layer stereo SACDs.

S

sterling shoote

That for sure would be interesting to know if that is the case. I've a few non-hybrid SACD, including some with only SACD stereo and MCH layer.

I've been ripping the stereo layer of those using a HDMI audio extractor connected to an Oppo BDP-93EU, but the Oppo output is PCM 16/44.1

What I want the most is to rip the MCH layer of all my SACDs ;)
I know very little about ripping stereo or multi-channel SACDs. I tried downloading multi-channel FLAC from Acoustic Sounds but it's an ordeal. As I recall, it's about a 16 click process from downloading to playback off a thumb drive connected to my OPPO's usb port. Perhaps, that ordeal is why Acoustic Sounds discontinued the service. At any rate, I've recently noticed a pick up in 5.1 SACD titles at Acoustic Sounds, as well as Apple's introduction of Dolby ATMOS, which gives me hope for continued multi-channel pleasure, because, after all, going back to stereo from multi-channel is like going back to a Coke gone flat, no fizz.;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No. I am not wanting, just wondering if indeed the unit will output single layer stereo SACD material via S/PDIF at 24/176 as I have heard it will do. i cannot test it, since I have no single layer stereo SACDs.
Why would you want it convert to 24/176 particularly? So you can't play the dsd layer at will with your SACDs?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Can’t speak to the X-800M2, but my X-800 plays single layer stereo SACDs via S/PDIF at 16/44.1. HDMI audio output must be set to HDMI 2 and not Auto or HDMI 1 or no audio will be output from S/PDIF.

S

sterling shoote

Can’t speak to the X-800M2, but my X-800 plays single layer stereo SACDs via S/PDIF at 16/44.1. HDMI audio output must be set to HDMI 2 and not Auto or HDMI 1 or no audio will be output from S/PDIF.
OK, this is jogging my memory. I now recall that someone said his X- 800 was delivering SACD via S/PDIF at 24/176 but a firmware update reduced resolution to 16/44.1. No doubt my curiosity will cause me to just buy a single layer SACD and do some testing. Thanks so much for your input, no pun intended.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis