Sony UBP-X800 Video quality settings, Auto/Custom 1/Custom 2?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I believe these are modest model differences between our AVR's and not major issues. But this screen is showing what the TV tells the AVR is capable of and what the AVR is capable of I think.

So no, you shouldn't see a 120 unless your TV and AVR are better than my 2020 LGCX. Which would be some neat trick. Because of AVR's are so similar and it's hard to beat my TV unless you spent $5-7k for it. That's, I think the refresh capabity 120hz? And we are OK with 60hz. Not best of best 120hz but the max of our model years.
Yeah that's a duh on my part, 120 is what the TV does not anything to do with the BD player or the Denon receiver. I think everything is set up correctly.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Yeah that's a duh on my part, 120 is what the TV does not anything to do with the BD player or the Denon receiver. I think everything is set up correctly.

I think I agree at this point. I'd like to see the 4K, HDR obviously when you pause. Which in sure it does, and also that Video info on you Bluray player.

* Haha I just love that button. Even when I know what it's going to show for both Audio and Video, I press it almost every time I watch a Bluray, and 100% of the time I have a 4K disc in... . It's just cool. In my own noob way I get off on it a bit still.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Same here, always check info to make sure all is going according to plan.
Yeah, that's it... All according to plan. It's just a hobby, not a fetish right..?

Somebody say "right!". LOL

Seriously though one day I'm going look into what all that metadata means more specifically. The only thing I'm certain of are the nits. - which reminds me I think I need to start a new thread. I don't want to hijack this one, even though I think we're all set here. But this is the craziest thing. I can't decide what video setting to use.! Of the presets, I mean. I can't find a consensus online of how to calibrate the thing. And some things look better on the different settings. TV vs Bluray vs Streaming. With a 4K, the equipment takes over and dies what I paid for. But I swear some streaming looks better on Standard, but a Bluray usually looks great on the HDR Effect preset. And honestly I can't believe I use a preset at all. I'm really curious what others do. Especially with my TV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No one setting works for every device, resolution, SDR or HDR. Never has, never will. Keep tinkering!:D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Here is how I know it's a UHD Blu Ray issues, everything streaming, HDR 10 and Dolby Vision from the Fire Cube looks extraordinary, I mean jaw dropping but from Sony X800 its not as satisfying. I just redeemed the 4k HDR Resident Evil Afterlife on Movies anywhere and it's freaking stunning. Last night I watched free from Amazon video "The Da Vinci Code" 4k HDR 10 and it was also stunning. Something is just missing from UHD Blu Ray.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Actually, UHD discs are the best example of audio and video at the moment. But, you will not get everything out of them if the TV and receiver are not up to snuff. I just changed out a 2017 Onkyo with a 2019 model and actually took a step down the ladder from the 7 series to the 6. No other settings, cables or components were changed and I can honestly say the new receiver passes a signal that is noticeably better than the old one and the HDR quirks that plagued the old receiver are gone. You might try hooking the player directly to the TV and see how it looks.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Here is how I know it's a UHD Blu Ray issues, everything streaming, HDR 10 and Dolby Vision from the Fire Cube looks extraordinary, I mean jaw dropping but from Sony X800 its not as satisfying. I just redeemed the 4k HDR Resident Evil Afterlife on Movies anywhere and it's freaking stunning. Last night I watched free from Amazon video "The Da Vinci Code" 4k HDR 10 and it was also stunning. Something is just missing from UHD Blu Ray.

Now don't forget 2 things.

First, the Bluray should be choosing it's own HDR. And this goes back to my comment about the Video information. You need to find that I think. So we know absolutely that it's choosing the correct HDR Format. But this is almost certain to be correct.

The second is the bigger issue. What is THE TV MODE. Like I was writing in my last comment. My Bluray chooses HDR, and my TV instantly switches to HDR Effect Mode.

But. - When I stream my TV is set to "Standard" mode. Now on my TV "Standard" really pops..! And "HDR Effect" seems a bit muted in direct comparison. But I can just change the TV Video mode to "Standard" if I want that same pop.!

I don't think it's the player. Because with a 4K disc you can't change these settings if you TV is set properly. The 4K sets the proper HDR, and the proper TV mode.

And remember no matter what your viewing on MoviesAnywhere, that HDX isn't any better than a regular Bluray at Best.

I think you're seeing different TV Mode setting. So change it. Your TV probably remembers what you choose last and is repeating it..!

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Actually, UHD discs are the best example of audio and video at the moment. But, you will not get everything out of them if the TV and receiver are not up to snuff. I just changed out a 2017 Onkyo with a 2019 model and actually took a step down the ladder from the 7 series to the 6. No other settings, cables or components were changed and I can honestly say the new receiver passes a signal that is noticeably better than the old one and the HDR quirks that plagued the old receiver are gone. You might try hooking the player directly to the TV and see how it looks.
The more I think about what he's sending, the more I think it's his TV viewing... Not the equipment, or cables or even the upscaling. I think he's got the TV on Standard for one and something else for the other. It's exactly what I was talking about in my last comment earlier.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
20201115_172954.jpg
20201115_172730.jpg

Look at the different "everything between Filemaker and Standard modes..!

Also Dolby on streaming or disc sets the TV mode itself.

So we have to be very careful comparing disc to streaming to Bluray upscaling, or TV upscaling. THEN your TV mode..!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, and I agree about Movies Anywhere. Best quality streaming app I’ve seen for sure.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
I hear you. Ironically, movie mode on my TV looks like s#%t.
Same...

For me it's always a choice for anything other than Dolby Video. Standard really pops, and if I cant decide I use it.

Was watching Utopia from Amazon the other day and I did the same as here with my pictures, just flipping back and forth on the TV mode. It was unbelievable how different it looked..!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I use Standard on my TV and occasionally try something else.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Just logged into my M/A account for the first time on the new TV and it defaulted to HDR Effect right off.

But I have a setting that tells the TV to determine Video setting based on the input. So for M/A I'm keeping it there unless I try another Video setting and decide it's better enough to override.

Same thing happened when I upgraded my Netflix to 4K. All new content in DolbyV/A switches my TV to Film Maker Mode and it shows as Dolby Vision on my screen.

Haven't tried Vudu yet but am expecting the same.

Why I'm now convinced this is what he's experiencing.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I really wish all the movie studies would embrace and work with Movies anywhere. It sucks having to use a few different sites. I want everything right on Movies anywhere.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis