Sony STR-DH790 vs Onkyo TX-NR696 ??

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Hello!

I am teetering between two AV receivers. One is double the price, But I’m trying to determine if the extra money is really worth it. I’m looking at the Sony STR-DH790 vs Onkyo TX-NR696. Does the Onkyo really offer that much more for an extra $300?

i also just orders the RSL CG23M 5.1 speakers, their 10S sub, and 2 C34E Atmos speakers.

Sony

Onkyo

Crutchfield did a comparisonbut I’m still not sure if extra $300 would give me better sound/video. Would appreciate any feedback.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Great website for comparing! Thank you for sharing! That was helpful

If anyone has any personal experience with either AVR, please feel free to share your opinion

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I’m going to look at the specifics a lot closer and I’m sure I’ll have some questions, but one that comes to mind right now is is what is the benefit of having an ethernet port on the Onkyo versus the Sony not having one?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I’m going to look at the specifics a lot closer and I’m sure I’ll have some questions, but one that comes to mind right now is is what is the benefit of having an ethernet port on the Onkyo versus the Sony not having one?
Basically streaming directly to the Receiver (Tunes from a PC or NAS, Amazon Music or Amazon Prime, & Internet Radio). I wouldn't buy any Onkyo or Pioneer unit these days due to their shaky financial status and some past quality issues; but this Onkyo far outshines this Sony from a specifications point of view. It's not a fair comparison. Take a look at a Denon - AVR-X1700H instead if you are compelled to buy from Best Buy. Or check out a Denon AVR S760H at Costco.com

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sony doesn't seem to be internet enabled at all. Just bluetooth. Personally with an avr I think one of the better options is internet capability (not only wired direct but onboard wifi/dlna options as well, if not even applish things like airplay).

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Sony doesn't seem to be internet enabled at all. Just bluetooth. Personally with an avr I think one of the better options is internet capability (not only wired direct but onboard wifi/dlna options as well, if not even applish things like airplay).
That’s great to know. I ended up purchasing the Onkyo RZ50 and I will be able to pick it up tomorrow. It has those things included and more. I think I’ll be happy with my purchase. Just waiting for my 12 Guage speaker wire to arrive. I still on the fence about whether I do a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2 I’m leaning to the 7.1.2. My atmos are these speakers with a 15° Baffle. https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-mkii-in-ceiling-speaker/

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
@Rylan - Good Luck with the Onkyo. Most folks here will advise 5.1.4 over 7.1.2 as the "Atmos" effect is better when overhead objects go front to back (and vice versa). My Atmos setup is presently 5.2.4. Make sure to follow the Dolby Atmos guidelines when installing your speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@Rylan - Good Luck with the Onkyo. Most folks here will advise 5.1.4 over 7.1.2 as the "Atmos" effect is better when overhead objects go front to back (and vice versa). My Atmos setup is presently 5.2.4. Make sure to follow the Dolby Atmos guidelines when installing your speakers.
I will definitely agree here. 5.x.4 will be better than 7.x.2. 7.x.4 will be better yet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis