Sony STR-590 Receiver 5.2 Sounds better playing DVDs?

H

HDsoundfan

Audiophyte
So, I learned that a blu-ray disk encoded with 7.1 DTS MA or Dolby Atmos does not sound as good as a DVD encoded with 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound or 5.1 DTS MA (on my 5.2 system.) It just surprised me. I guess I wish I had put the $250 towards a 9.2 channel receiver instead. Anyone else notice this?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You mean a dvd using Dolby Digital? What DVD has a DTS HD-MA soundtrack (assuming thats what you mean by DTS MA)? Dvds only have the lossy codecs, Dolby Digital and DTS, blurays get the lossless codecs DTS HD-MA or DTS:X or Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos. Using the bluray the core 5ch version of the lossless track is usually provided. What sound modes are you using on your avr?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Somebody close the f#%kin’ gates before anymore wonder in this f#%ker by accident! AVS forum could use the traffic if you don’t mind the s#%ty overhaul of the site.:p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So, I learned that a blu-ray disk encoded with 7.1 DTS MA or Dolby Atmos does not sound as good as a DVD encoded with 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound or 5.1 DTS MA (on my 5.2 system.) It just surprised me. I guess I wish I had put the $250 towards a 9.2 channel receiver instead. Anyone else notice this?
I actually noticed the opposite. Before I finished my Atmos install, I noticed that Atmos tracks on my 7.3 sounded better. Seemed like the image steering was much better.
What exactly do you feel is “better”?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Somebody close the f#%kin’ gates before anymore wonder in this f#%ker by accident! AVS forum could use the traffic if you don’t mind the s#%ty overhaul of the site.:p
Did you get kicked out of the AVS forum? You seem to be outstaying your welcome here! Why don't you ask the OP about the details of his system and the discs he used for evaluation? After all the basic engineering of a recording is of far more importance than format. Some of the best sources I have were recorded long before the digital era. Experience, passion an dedication of the recording/production staff, will generally out perform format.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You were funnier in the other thread.:confused: My fault. I forgot how f#%kin’ awesome lossy DVD tracks were and wonder why they even bother with lossless audio at all.:p

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Think I’ll fire up the ol’ VHS copy of Star Wars. Should be sweet, what with Lucasfilm’s passion and dedication and all.:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis