Sony Officially Announces the 2018.5 OLED A9F and LCD/LED Z9F TVs

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Check out my video of the introduction of Sony's Z9F and A9F at Sony's Press Conference.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Here's part 2 that starts with the Z9F and then goes into more information on both new series, the A9F OLED and Z9F LCD/LED, like the new AutoCal, Netflix calibrated mode and more.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
I've been posting select videos from Sony's Press Conference on my new Youtube Channel and this is the last one I'll bring to everyone's attention. So if you want to see more check out the channel as I'll post new videos every day or two.

Here's a very interesting presentation from Mr. Bill Baggelaar, Sony Pictures, SVP of Technologies for Pre and Post Production Technologies tells the story of the Sony's quest "Lens to Living room" creation of the new Master Series A9F OLED and Z9F LCD/LED TVs.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The expense of this technology precludes me from it. I thought my $1100.00 Sony 65 inch 850E XBR's price would surely sink me. After all, it is just a TV. The picture is great, the "smart" functions work with wireless internet, and it sounds O.K., what else really is there?

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
4k video is awesome. 4k HDR is really awesome. 4k Dolby Vision is the cream of the crop.
It's another level of video what if your willing to spend the money to get it is wroth every penny. Not everyone is built to buy a Z9D or the new Z9F and there are plenty of good quality Tv's on the market that one does not have to pay a premium to get almost as good. The XBR 900 F Sony tv is a good example of getting a premium performing TV at a affordable price.

I'm not exactly sure but I think the MASTER DRIVE back lighting system is NOT being used on the new Z9F and I think that is why it does not have as good as black levels as the Z9D. I think Sony messed up by putting so much stock into off viewing angles and not just improving the Z9D where it needed to be and that was as following

1) Motion - using the same new motion technology as the 900F is all the Z9D needed
2) INPUTS - for those who need more then 2 full bandwidth 4k inputs this update is really nice. For me it's makes no difference as I only use the one input HDMI 3 for ARC which I don't use and for passing all 4k stuff from my system.
3) The Frame- the 930/940 and 900F IMO all have a nicer looking frame then the Z9D. I don't really care for the chrome strip on the bottom. It's not a deal breaker as I barely ever notice it but when I look at those other models I really like the frames on them better.
4) Faster Operating system - The Z9D is painful to use the menu systems and ESPECIALLY the on board apps. I only used them when I got the TV , programed my Universal for it and used ARC to my AVR. After being frustrated on how slow it was and how awesome the Apple TV is I have no use for the OSD other then my forever tweaking of the video settings. Coming from a Pioneer Elite Kuro it's still to this day hard to except the huge differences in overall picture quality.

N

noclue

Audioholic
On AVS there has been some very good things said and then some report that there not real happy with the AF9 with some screen issues. I was going to get one of these or the C8 seem that both have there problems. For what they cost it I don't expect to have any issues. Think i will stick with my 55 inch Pany ips panel. maybe next year will will see some more improvements.
I have a 55 inch TCL in my man cave an have had no issues with it But I have read that it is a lottery to get a good one with the newer ones

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Not sure what anyone could be unhappy about with Sony's new Master Series A9F OLED TV. LG's C8 is another very choice and it's price point is very attractive.

N

noclue

Audioholic
There are reports of banding and the screen being con caved a little. The QF9 has problems with it power supply and quick link box it seems. For what these cost there should be no issues we have had 4 k TV's long enough that they should have worked out any issues. Did not take this long to get reliable 1080 P TV's.
I will just buy the P6 TCL and keep returning it until i get a good panel. I see no reason at this time to spend the money for higher end TV's the tech is changing way to fast and the TV's may be unreliable Time will tell

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
@[B]noclue[/B], my take from your post is... Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

1.) The facts are, no OLED TV has ever had the excellent screen uniformity of Sony's new Master Series A9F OLED TV. With that said although you should not see any screen uniformity issue with content. You can see very minimal banding on the A9F with a full field test pattern. I call it a non issue as it's the cleanest OLED screen compared to all others and the very minimal banding can't be seen with content.

2.) Sony's A9F OLED TV has no problem whatsoever with it's power supply.

3.) Yes, the screen has a very very minimal curve, but this is truly a non issue. Surprised anyone would even notice it.

4.) Not sure what a "Quick Link Box" is

N

noclue

Audioholic
K I need to buy or wife is wanting a new TV that is larger than the 55 inch IPS 1080p we have. May go with the new AF9

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Great TV and great value, but the A9 is the ultimate 4K HDR OLED TV. Hope you don; tmind my adding some of the differences between Sony's A8F and Sony's new A9F flagship Master Series OLED TV.

The A9F has better motion resolution and better up-conversion of FHD/SDR and even better low luminance gradation detail. In all fairness the three video advantages are all moderate, but when consider all together they add up to a very nice moderate picture quality upgrade.

Another A9F advantage is it's built-in 3.2 channel audio system that has front L/R/C and two subs, the A8F has a 2.2 speaker system so it lacks the clear dialog and all vocal content that the A9F's dedicated center channel audio delivers. The final extra feature of the A9F is that you can use all three front channel speakers as one center channel when connected to any surround sound receiver.

It's a tough and personal decision for anyone looking to buy a premium TV as you are looking at two excellent TVs, the price/performance best choice with the A8F or go for the new King of TV, A9F.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis