sony mhc gx45? $15 at goodwill

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Found this Sony mini hifi ,for cheap but I’m not sure if it’s worth it comes with everything it the remote I think .
Junk ? Or good buy even for just music or games ?
Comes with a baby subwoofer too.
A gamesync model and would work with one of tube tv i got for vintage games . $14 is cheap compared to outlet were it would be like $35 by weight .

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-mhc-gx45-mini-system/

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Please don't.

You're just going to ask us how to fix it and we're going to tell you that it's junk and not to bother.

Then you're going to try to fix it anyway and keep asking us questions that make us wonder if you're joking or not.

Just put that money into a bank account somewhere to save up and buy something worth getting.

I know you'll probably just ignore this advice and buy it anyway, but I had to try...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Please don't.

You're just going to ask us how to fix it and we're going to tell you that it's junk and not to bother.

Then you're going to try to fix it anyway and keep asking us questions that make us wonder if you're joking or not.

Just put that money into a bank account somewhere to save up and buy something worth getting.

I know you'll probably just ignore this advice and buy it anyway, but I had to try...
If it’s junk then I’ll definitely save my money for something worthwhile. Last thing I need is more useless speakers wasting space .
If I get another avr of this style it will be a surround model . Like my current Sony , it’s probably not even as good as my insignia stereo receiver but it had v groove ???
It may be better then my insignia ?

Free the reptile aliens

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you keep buying garbage at 10 or 15 bucks a pop you're never gonna be able to save enough to buy something decent. I think you've been around these forums enough now to know that no one here would ever recommend buying something like. I wouldn't want it if it were given to me.

You need to set some goals. Stop buying garbage and save what you can where you can until you have enough for some decent speakers like the DCMs that have been suggested to you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Spend your time looking for a job rather than the old junky electronics! :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Jay, you, enn, Kay
Junq
Junx
Jung-kuh
Junnk
Junkk
Juunk(that’s with a southern drawl)
And for any other way to spell it...

J. U. N. K...
Junk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There's nothing wrong looking on Craigslist and checking out stores for good deals, but at the end of the day, if you want quality, you will pay for it.

There's nothing wrong with throwing a cheapo system like that in a kids room for them to listen to CDs, but kids don't listen to CDs anymore. It's fine if you don't really care about audio quality.

It's not worth fixing if it's broken.

It's not 'good', by any means. It's not garbage, but it's a long way from having quality speakers.

You can do what you want here, but there is a point where you won't get people that want to help you with setups that are cheap and ineffective.

If you get it, don't use it. It isn't quality. It's for a kid's room, not for any proper adult setup.

Maybe it's time to specify what your goals are. Where you live (rent/own/live with parents/etc.). What type of budget you may be working with. What you would like to do and have with A/V.

I do this all the time. I try to specify what I'm trying to accomplish, and sometimes I have to save for years to get there.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
There's nothing wrong looking on Craigslist and checking out stores for good deals, but at the end of the day, if you want quality, you will pay for it.

There's nothing wrong with throwing a cheapo system like that in a kids room for them to listen to CDs, but kids don't listen to CDs anymore. It's fine if you don't really care about audio quality.

It's not worth fixing if it's broken.

It's not 'good', by any means. It's not garbage, but it's a long way from having quality speakers.

You can do what you want here, but there is a point where you won't get people that want to help you with setups that are cheap and ineffective.

If you get it, don't use it. It isn't quality. It's for a kid's room, not for any proper adult setup.

Maybe it's time to specify what your goals are. Where you live (rent/own/live with parents/etc.). What type of budget you may be working with. What you would like to do and have with A/V.

I do this all the time. I try to specify what I'm trying to accomplish, and sometimes I have to save for years to get there.
I just figured this system was worth more then $15 if I decided to re sell it maybe it’s not.?
The receiver looks good but ahh the speakers look blaaah decent ? Not hifi

Free the reptile aliens

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just figured this system was worth more then $15 if I decided to re sell it maybe it’s not.?
The receiver looks good but ahh the speakers look blaaah decent ? Not hifi

Free the reptile aliens
Yeah but, how are you gonna save for some decent stuff if you keep buying junk at thrift shops?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What, exactly do you have right now that resembles a system? I've seen some pics you posted of what looks almost like a boom box type thing, you mentioned Andrew Jones and Sony speakers, an Onkyo receiver, an amp, a humidity damaged subwoofer, some old kabuki speakers with rotted surrounds that look like an 8 year old tried to fix with toilet paper and elmer's glue and then you wanna pop different sized car audio drIvers in there... You're all over the place man. This isn't the type of forum you come to with disaster projects and ask if they can be salvaged or Frankensteined together out of parts from 5 different systems with caulk, glue, foam plates, bailing wire and bandaids.

Some of the questions you ask and the projects you propose are so preposterous it's to the point that I can't tell if you're being serious or just bored and trolling us. What's your deal? Are you wanting to get a sound system put together and need advice? Or are you just bored and looking for someone to talk to? What exactly do you want? We need a budget and goals. A realistic budget and realistic goals. Then you need to stick to your guns, save what you need and buy it.

Plus it helps if you read the replies. I thought BMX was very nice and did a pretty thorough job explaining something to you, and you just fired right back with the same question as if you didn't comprehend anything that was said. C'mon dude. Help us, help you...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What, exactly do you have right now that resembles a system? I've seen some pics you posted of what looks almost like a boom box type thing, you mentioned Andrew Jones and Sony speakers, an Onkyo receiver, an amp, a humidity damaged subwoofer, some old kabuki speakers with rotted surrounds that look like an 8 year old tried to fix with toilet paper and elmer's glue and then you wanna pop different sized car audio drIvers in there... You're all over the place man. This isn't the type of forum you come to with disaster projects and ask if they can be salvaged or Frankensteined together out of parts from 5 different systems with caulk, glue, foam plates, bailing wire and bandaids.

Some of the questions you ask and the projects you propose are so preposterous it's to the point that I can't tell if you're being serious or just bored and trolling us. What's your deal? Are you wanting to get a sound system put together and need advice? Or are you just bored and looking for someone to talk to? What exactly do you want? We need a budget and goals. A realistic budget and realistic goals. Then you need to stick to your guns, save what you need and buy it.

Plus it helps if you read the replies. I thought BMX was very nice and did a pretty thorough job explaining something to you, and you just fired right back with the same question as if you didn't comprehend anything that was said. C'mon dude. Help us, help you...
Well I didn’t know if the Sony receiver was as any good . Should I try to sell the big old speakers on Facebook for dirt cheap ? If almost rather get new drivers for them , sorry I’m trying to make a set up that works downstairs and in basement. My bedroom system cannot really be improved until I get a decent job .

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If you keep buying garbage at 10 or 15 bucks a pop you're never gonna be able to save enough to buy something decent. I think you've been around these forums enough now to know that no one here would ever recommend buying something like. I wouldn't want it if it were given to me.

You need to set some goals. Stop buying garbage and save what you can where you can until you have enough for some decent speakers like the DCMs that have been suggested to you.
Do you think it’s possible to sell my old speakers cheap on letgo or Facebook? So far I’ve had no success ?
And to save up for a better receiver then this cheap junk sony thing ?

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Spend your time looking for a job rather than the old junky electronics! :)
Yeah sorry if I’m asking dumb question it’s just some of the Older Sony units aren’t bad .
I’ll just look for a job and stop worrying about the cheapo garbage that’s worse then stuff I already have .
I just cannot watch cable tv on my best system I’m trying to cobble something together for downstairs haha . Failure !!
The center speaker was a quality buy too , a $100 speaker new or more with Kevlar cones .
My parents won’t buy me a cable box in my bedroom and I haven’t found a job yet .

Free the reptile aliens

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It was more the less because I’m using a entry level amplifier in my basement and this looked better .
Im using something like this in my basement...
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-200w-2-0-ch-stereo-receiver-black/4156007.p?skuId=4156007

Free the reptile aliens
Something like that, or is that what you have?

So you're looking to upgrade a basement system? Is it for movies, music or both? Do you want 5.1 down there or is 2.1 enough? What kind of speakers do you have right now? Subwoofer? You've mentioned a subwoofer, but then you're also trying to fix one that has water damage? What's this Onkyo receiver you keep bringing up? Is that in the basement too?

I have more questions but my point is, with all of the posts you've made we still have no clue what your goal is or what you're running currently...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Please make ONE post with a list of your ACTUAL equipment.

Also, be honest about your budget and your goals. In my mind, it can take years to achieve certain goals, and I have been on the lookout for quality gear when it comes up time and time again. Nothing wrong with getting a bargain, but don't buy new garbage to replace old garbage. Don't buy a 5.1 receiver because it's a 5.1 receive when you WANT a 7.1 receiver. Don't buy a 10" KMR subwoofer when you want a 15" JL Audio.

Spend some time doing some research on what stuff cost new, and what stuff is good. This can be done by asking, but it is FAR better to really dig in and do research on your own on a lot of this stuff. Home theater in a box kits are rarely a good way to go. They do save some cash, maybe, but often have very poor speakers. Don't confuse the plastic garbage systems with 'home theater'. They really aren't. They are just glorified boom-boxes. If a complete system had a original cost of a couple hundred dollars, at pretty much any point in history, it's not ever going to be worth owning. But, something that cost $800 when new, that is now 10 years old and is being sold for $50... that may be a real score! But, you have to have that 50 bucks to spend.

Reselling electronics to make a real profit is a tough game to get into. Just working at a job will net you some disposable income that can get you down the road to some very nice product, extremely quickly, if you don't have other major costs in life you are spending your money on.

For example, this is a couple of rooms in my home:

Basement:
Yamaha RX-V685
5.1 surround sound
Cheap value buy $50 Sony 5 satellite speakers. Bought refurb from Accessories4Less
Velodyne HGS-18BG subwoofer (yes, quite a mismatch in performance)
JVC DLA-X590 Projector
Sony UBP-X700 Blu-ray Disc player (Direct Connection for 4K to the projector)
161" Draper Ultimate Access V screen
Various other house sources from a switcher

Family Room (3.1 setup)
Samsung 85" UN85JU7100FXZA
Denon AVR-2113CI
Paradigm Millenia 300 L/R Mains
Definitive Technology Mythos 8 Center
Paradigm Ultracube 10 Subwoofer (behind couch)
Only 1080p sources are fed through centralized switching system (Fios cable/PS4/PS3/Panasonic BD/Roku/AppleTV/etc.)

Spare equipment:
Roku Ultra - Not yet hooked up, designated for the basement projector setup, may need a full 4K capable receiver first, or may swap cables with the Sony BD player.
Several Martin Logan Subwoofers (not planning to use at this time)
Lots of spare cards for my switching system for future television and input locations.
(etc.)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Kingnoob, I want to say a couple things: I really appreciate your enthusiasm, I love to see people getting into audio. This is not an instant gratification field, especially when you have little income as it seems you do from your posts about being unemployed. If you keep trying to buy stuff that is $10 or $15 you're going to end up with a ton of junk and little to show for it.

In order for us to really help you we need the information that everyone above has asked you for. What, exactly, are you trying to do? What is your budget? Can you put away $5 or $10 a week to achieve that budget goal? When do you want to achieve this by? From what I've gathered over all these threads it seems like you're trying to piece together a handful of systems for modern and old tv's. You should pick one that you want to do first and focus on that. If you can answer these questions you will get a ton of suggestions from people here. A TON!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Kingnoob, I want to say a couple things: I really appreciate your enthusiasm, I love to see people getting into audio. This is not an instant gratification field, especially when you have little income as it seems you do from your posts about being unemployed. If you keep trying to buy stuff that is $10 or $15 you're going to end up with a ton of junk and little to show for it.

In order for us to really help you we need the information that everyone above has asked you for. What, exactly, are you trying to do? What is your budget? Can you put away $5 or $10 a week to achieve that budget goal? When do you want to achieve this by? From what I've gathered over all these threads it seems like you're trying to piece together a handful of systems for modern and old tv's. You should pick one that you want to do first and focus on that. If you can answer these questions you will get a ton of suggestions from people here. A TON!
Yeah your right best thing to do is not buy anymore garbage even if I can resell it for more on Facebook or something. It could end up no one ever wants that garbage . I avoided buying this Sony , I posted a thread to try and explain my situation!

Free the reptile aliens

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So speaking from the standpoint of having 3 systems and “the itch”, go ahead and put the best equipment and focus on the room you spend the most time in.

There’s a bit of a minimum cost to play in the game. A decent used pair of speakers probably doesn’t go lower than around $50. $10 stuff is junk.

People are upgrading and you will have opportunities to buy their old gear when they spend money on new gear especially around Christmas time or when they get their tax refunds in February.

On new gear the sales in the Christmas season starting with Black Friday are when a lot of deals on new gear happen.

Anyhow try to research and save when you can so you can get deals when opportunity knocks.

Also it’s good advice these guys are giving you so take time to like their posts or thank them in your replies. :)

Good luck! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis