Sony MDR 7509 Headphones...WOW

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I have broken in a pair of these. All I can say is these things are mind blowing. It feels like I am listening to a sub. I seriously will blow my ear drums before these things will distort. I have tried to push these things to that point. I read somewhere that they actually push 3 Watts whatever that means. These things will hurt you if you are not careful. Closed design.

The highs are beautiful too. Not sharp and tinny or fatiguing. They are very comfortable and I do see the pads wearing out over time but who cares when they sound like this. And besides, I wouldn't want to look like some dork walking down the street in these so I will be nice to them in my living room only.

I paid $320 CAD. Same as the Grado 225's and these are far superior IMO, especially if you like some thump in your music!

JC

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I've heard those headphones along with nearly all of the Sennheiser models. I prefer the Sennheiser HD650's.

To each, his own. Sounds like you really love them! :)

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
any headphone can damage your hearing easily and permanently if abused. Anything beyond 85dBA for extended listening periods will eventually damage your hearing.....be careful out there.

The Sony's are not really my thing, I'd prefer any of my Senns/Beyers/AKG's personally. But as long as you like 'em...all the power to you!

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
Ehh, these aren't that great for thier pricerange. Thier bass isn't so clean IMO, very boomy.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
The MDR-7506 or its professional counterpart (gold plated instead of silver plated plugs) have been the main stay of recording studios around the world. It has an extremely flat response curve. But some people find these flat response curve headphones too bright to their liking. This is my experience as well.

The Sennheiser HD600/HD650 has a slight midbass bump and a bit recessed trebble, making them sound more palatable to a lot of people, myself included. I prefer the HD600 over the HD650. The HD650 has an even more pronounced midbass bump compared to the HD600, making everything I hear from those headphones like I am hearing sound passing through thick maple syrup, not my cup of tea.

The MDR-7509 is an improved version of the venerable MDR-7506, I have never tried that model personally.

Having said all this, I currently own a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000. AMAZING bass response, the best I have ever heard (better than my old stereo setup). I like the Sonys for their fast response. This aspect of high end Sony headphones make the high end Sennheisers sound dull in comparison.

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
you are right about the SA5000... I have never listened to this pair, but I have heard it's little brother, the sa3000..... wow!!!! these things ROCKS!!!!! tight fast accurate bass with a lively treble response and mids are beaut! I can only imagine the SA5k would sound like.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
You have to boost the treble a little on the Sony's but better than having to drop the trble a ton with the Grados. They sounded bright no matter what.

JC

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis