Sony May Have Included A Rootkit To Firmware 3.56

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
There's a rumor floating around the net that Sony may have added a rootkit to it's latest firmware in an attempt to fight hackers. This rumor has been making it's way across gaming fourms, blogs and has been picked up by Cnet. I hope this isn't true but Sony has done this before with their CD's back in 05 so who's to say that they wouldn't do it again but this rumor has yet to be confirmed.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I remember the rootkit fiasco from a few years back. I certainly hope they didnt add one in this firmware update (fortunately I haven't updated yet).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If they did it, they did it because of that judgement. The only files I have on my systems are ps3, so no real biggie, but I still don't like three idea that they could check things out without notice. If I am not mistaken though, they probably could already do that per the psn agreement. My slim is updated, but my 60g is not.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
If they did it, they did it because of that judgement. The only files I have on my systems are ps3, so no real biggie, but I still don't like three idea that they could check things out without notice. If I am not mistaken though, they probably could already do that per the psn agreement. My slim is updated, but my 60g is not.
Didn't you send you 60g in for repair?

If so it will be when it gets back. Maybe I am misremembering though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We'll see. It is supposed to be back today. It has pretty old firmware on it, and so do both the hard drives I have for it.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Sony has re-released firmware 3.56, the issue is similar to 3.41 in which it wouldn't allow you to upgrade the HDD. I had issues with the latest firmware but I upgraded my HDD three years ago and still had problems with it, so it could be that 3.56 has issues with certain third-party HDD's...not sure.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I got it back yesterday. It has 3.30 on it, so they actually rolled it BACK, because it died when 3.41 came out.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Damnit. I was going to use it to transfer my data from the 120 to another drive, but it says both systems have to have the latest firmware to do that....

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Damnit. I was going to use it to transfer my data from the 120 to another drive, but it says both systems have to have the latest firmware to do that....
Yea that really kills it when you need to have both using the latest firmware, hopefully Sony will get the cloud up and running soon so we can do away with this nonsense.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Yea that really kills it when you need to have both using the latest firmware, hopefully Sony will get the cloud up and running soon so we can do away with this nonsense.
the cloud?

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
There has been some unconfirmed reports that Sony will offer cloud game saves to PS+ members which according to the reports should be part of firmware 3.60. Now whether it's true we will have to wait and see but IMO that would save a lot of trouble when you have an HDD fail or as in J's case.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There has been some unconfirmed reports that Sony will offer cloud game saves to PS+ members which according to the reports should be part of firmware 3.60. Now whether it's true we will have to wait and see but IMO that would save a lot of trouble when you have an HDD fail or as in J's case.
Yep, and until they do that, I won't be signing up for Plus. They already store trophy info, so saves shouldn't be that tough.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis