Sony KDS-R50XBR1 - Yellow Tint / Green Blob problem

P

panthX

Audiophyte
my tv has that optical block problem, that so many other unfortunate sony television users have had. where the tv turns green and yellow and it basically looks like crap.

Anyways can someone walk me through step by step as to how they get there television repaired, what they had to do? where they got the claims forms? etc.

I have contacted Sony and they are doing there UTMOST to run me in complete circles so that I will leave them alone. Its really incredibly rude. They just tell me to check there website which I am unable to successfully navigate.

i have found some info:
but the claims forms they lead me to are not relevant, they are for money I spent before May 2007, which I am having to now spend money here and now in 2008

apparently I am covered till Oct 2008, but this is all so hazy and unclear.

if anyones successfully navigated this maze and was able to get sony to pay please let me know how you pulled it off.

thanks.

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
I had the optical block problem on my TV and Sony did not give me any problems. I just called and talked with a person and they gave me a list of service centers in my area. Because of the size of the TV it was covered in house, I did not have to bring it in. The service center took about a week to get the part in and needed a copy of my receipt. That was it! I had no hassles.

Since the class action lawsuit about this they really should not be giving you such a hard time about it. I believe the part is covered until June 30, 2009 so be persistent and they should take care of you.

P

panthX

Audiophyte
did you have to pay out any money.

in my situ, they acted like i had to pay for everything then submit it to them for there review, i dont know if they are just hassling me because i dont live near a major metroplex.

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
My repair cost no money out of pocket. I had purchased an extended warranty with my TV so I called them first since my repair fell after Sony's coverage. They told me to contact Sony since this item had been covered by an extended warranty. I had no problems with Sony, but I also live in an area with at least 3 major Sony repair centers that were able to come out to my home.

The only issue you may face is that if you have no local service centers they may want you to bring the TV in to a shop.

With the class action lawsuit that stipulates Sony having to extend coverage on this item, I would not take "NO" for an answer!

Remember to document ALL conversations. Write down who you spoke to, at what time, and what was discussed. If your first attempt does not get results ask to speak to a supervisor. If that does not work you may want to contact the lawyers office that is doing the class action lawsuit and inform them of the problem.

Check too that if you purchased it with a credit card that they might even offer an extended warranty. So if Sony will not own up maybe they will cover its replacement.

Hang in there! It really is frustrating that we bought into this technology and have to suffer for supporting Sony. But make them take care of you!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
sonys "parts" and "labor" warranties are different time spans

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
Here is the link for the Sony info on the class action lawsuit: http://esupport.sony.com/sxrdsettlement.

One aspect I found interesting on that site was the following:
Q5. What benefits does the Settlement provide?
A5. Currently the Settlement is still pending final approval by the Court presiding over the case. If approved, the Settlement provides for Sony to offer the following benefits, with proper documentation:

* An extension of the limited warranty to provide in-home service or replacement of the optical block in your Television until June 30, 2009, and special benefits in fulfilling this warranty extension.

I would really push for in-home service! This warranty here in question is only on the one problem part and it addresses that it should cover the part cost and labor to install.

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
I understand this is an old thread. But anyone still having an issue with the yellow-green tint on the lower right hand side of the screen, must get an Optical Block with the 'GLASS LENS'...NOT the origianal Lexan Lens. What I believe causes this problem ls the HEAT from the Lamp is making the PLASTIC lens discolor. Like a bulb in a freezer discolors the plastic cover. Once the GLASS Optical Block is installed, there is no more issues. Ours was replaced about a year and a half ago. It still looks beautiful, and the GLASS lens makes the picture even more DRAMATIC. I know it's a permanent repair because our screen would discolor after only 3 months of use. I hope this will be of some help to someone out there.

C

CTRL+ALT+DEL

Audiophyte
my Sony KDSR50XBR1 also has yellow green picture problem. I called sony help and they were able to offer me a bran new sony flatscreen lcd tv for $500 (original price $2000). I will probably take that offer. I have one week to think about it.

S

solstice

Audiophyte
Did they offer you a repair?

Did they offer you a repair? Mine started showing like a shadow yellow/green line, sometimes at both sides or botton, middle, etc.
my Sony KDSR50XBR1 also has yellow green picture problem. I called sony help and they were able to offer me a bran new sony flatscreen lcd tv for $500 (original price $2000). I will probably take that offer. I have one week to think about it.

P

Paradigmal

Audiophyte
Did Sony make you jump through hoops to get to this point?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis