R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>FYI....I happen to find a site that has downloadable firmware updates for the Sony ES products (referenced in another forum).  The site is: http://www.css.ap.sony.com/  It is a Sony Asia Pacific site.  From this site select &quot;Home Audio&quot; on the left side of the screen, then on the next screen's &quot;Downloads&quot; section, click on the drop down &quot;Model&quot; for your model and select &quot;Go&quot;.  There are updates for DA4, DA5, DA7, 333, 555 &amp; 9000 receivers.  The 4, 5 &amp; 7 updates came out in Nov 2002 and appear to fix a problem with DTS- ES Discrete mode.  The files are self-extracting zip files which expand into instructions &amp; all referenced programs.  You then connect your computer to your ES and update the ES firmware. Here is the link to the other forum entry: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum....=119425</font>

<font color='#000000'>Thanks, RTPBob, these kinds of links are very helpful to our viewers.

The directions for performing a successful firmware update are also located on that website. Its important to follow them closely to avoid damaging your Sony.</font>

R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>The instructions for performing the update is also in a PDF file that is part of the self-extracting zipped file on the site.  I printed the webpage only to discover later they were in the download.</font>

R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I finished my firmware update and thought I'd comment on the process.  Not too many replies to this thread, but I noticed a fair number of folks looking at it.  I purchase a null-modem (9pin serial cable which allows data transfers) at a local PC store for $3.  The only specific thing I did beyond the instructions was to unplug my DA5 and have the power off on my laptop when I connected &amp; disconnected the cable.  Once connected, I plugged in my DA5 and powered it and the laptop up.  Following instructions, it took just under 4 mins.

When I started I had firmware version 1.4x (didn't write down the version so don't remember last digit) and when I finished I had 1.74 (think that was the last digit).  The software update package said it was giving me 1.6x but it shows the 1.7 on the DA5.  Also, the software program said the update was for DA3, DA5 and DA555 receivers.

For anyone wanting to do this, it seems to be a pretty straight forward process.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the info and link... I have a STR-DA555ES will this update apply to this model as well? RTPBob stated &quot;Also, the software program said the update was for DA3, DA5 and DA555 receivers&quot; On the sony site... if you pick amplifier for the category and for model there are only these listed: STR-DA4ES, STR-DA5ES, STR-DA7ES, STR-VA333ES, STR-VA555ES, and TA-9000ES.</font>

R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>My mistake.  I had never heard of a VA555ES so I quickly scanned over the instructions that and typed in DA555ES.  The instructions and firmware specifically say VA555ES.  After seaching the web, I see there is a product named VA555ES.

I would NOT recommend trying to install it in a receiver that it is not specifically designated to support.

Sorry for the error.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis